Woodnet Forums
Need some Peace saw advice - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need some Peace saw advice (/showthread.php?tid=7293664)

Need some Peace saw advice - joemac - 06-02-2016

Fellow has what appears in photos to be a Harvey Peace #40 dovetail saw. The blade is straight but is pretty used up. It is even with the bottom of the handle and appears to taper to about 1 1/4"at the toe. The horns appear to be undamaged, with usual misc dents, scratches and bruises on the handle.

What is a fair price for it?

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - JClark - 06-02-2016

Very hard to say without photos, Joe. Can you post any?

Peace saws sell for a good amount if they are in excellent condition- usually in the $100-150 range. If there are any defects at all that price drops drastically.

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - joemac - 06-02-2016

Here are the pictures that I have:

" />

" />

" />

Is it worth $50?

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - Martin S. - 06-03-2016

No, you can find better Harvey Peace saws on ebay.

The blade is too used up, unless you want to get a replacement blade from Blacky's Boy.

I am not sure I would give $20 for it.

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - joemac - 06-03-2016

Thanks for the advice. I will take a pass on this one.

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - JClark - 06-03-2016

Martin S. said:

No, you can find better Harvey Peace saws on ebay.
The blade is too used up, unless you want to get a replacement blade from Blacky's Boy.
I am not sure I would give $20 for it.

I agree completely.. It would be a fun project to restore, but if you factor in your time and the cost of a new plate then you probably cant' spend more than $20 on it. It's not a rare saw so there's not much collector value in it as-is.

Josh

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - Admiral - 06-03-2016

Yup, definitely a project saw. But with a new plate, it would be pretty cool. What's they guy asking for it? If you can snag it for $25 or $30, its worth considering.

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - joemac - 06-03-2016

He came down to $40 and no lower. I really don't need another project. Haven't finished the one I started last year.

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - sawnuts - 06-03-2016

You did not mention what you would be doing with the saw.
A small blade like that would make a good dovetail saw possibly. Look at the blade on a Gramercy saw.

1 1/4" would cut most dovetails.

Someone thought quite highly of this saw for a good reason. They sharpened it a lot. It is fairly early judging by the split bolts and the hook on the handle.

Mark

Re: Need some Peace saw advice - RonB1957 - 06-04-2016

joemac said:

He came down to $40 and no lower. I really don't need another project. Haven't finished the one I started last year.

Did he say how thick the saw plate was? Is it local to you?