Woodnet Forums
Second Spoon - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Second Spoon (/showthread.php?tid=7305469)

Second Spoon - BaileyNo5 - 06-22-2016

I started on this one shortly after the first one had some problems with a bark inclusion. See this post for details.

This one went much faster and no surprises. Hawthorne, 12.5" long, raw tung oil finish.

Re: Second Spoon - cputnam - 06-22-2016

Nice, very nice!

Re: Second Spoon - Window Guy - 06-23-2016

Very , I like it. This is something I am going to try very soon. I have to pick up a Mora Knife one of these day's and then I am good to go.

Steve

Re: Second Spoon - Guest - 06-23-2016

Nice, clean design and beautifully executed. I like it a lot!

Re: Second Spoon - eg54string - 06-23-2016

Nice work. It looks like it should function well.

Re: Second Spoon - Sawdustd - 06-24-2016

Looks finger lickin good Kevin. Patients and persistence pays off.

Re: Second Spoon - BaileyNo5 - 06-24-2016

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Steve, I bought a Mora knife but didn't use it much on this project. I used a couple of carving gouges, that little drawknife from Lee Valley (that's a sweet little tool that works great for shaping the exterior), rasps, and a Veritas chairmaker's scraper. Oh, and I can't forget my most well-used carving tool, 36 grit sandpaper.

Re: Second Spoon - Steve N - 06-25-2016

The A side is positively wicked, the B side is muddled in comparison. Looks like 2 different pieces. Did you not spend much time on the back, or is that a trick of the photography and the difference of convex/concave?

Either way the form is awesome

Re: Second Spoon - Window Guy - 06-25-2016

I do have a couple gouges, might need to look into the the veritas drawknife, I have a 10" Greenlee. I do have plenty of sandpaper now , bought a 10# bargin box last month.

Thanks for the suggestions !

Steve

Re: Second Spoon - Bibliophile 13 - 06-25-2016

Very nice shape on that one. I like the curve on the handle, especially.