Woodnet Forums
do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? (/showthread.php?tid=7316737)

do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - EricU - 07-11-2016

just smacked the ceiling fan with a piece of drywall I was moving, and the fan isn't working right. Acting like I broke a shear pin. Of course, it could be that I just broke something more expensive

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - Mr_Mike - 07-11-2016

Not that I know of.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - K. L. McReynolds - 07-11-2016

Never saw one so far.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - FIB 1 - 07-11-2016

Did you check to see if the rotation switch has been knocked out of position? That did happen as a result of a pillow fight. Pushed it back to its end position and the fan worked fine. There was no shear pin.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - Herb G - 07-12-2016

The high end fans have a pin with a clip that holds them from spinning on their motors when you turn them on.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - EricU - 07-12-2016

this is a hunter. I tried to buy the best one I could, but the selection is limited at the BORGs. It does spin, but there is some scraping on startup and you have to push it to get it started.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - Robert Adams - 07-12-2016

The blades are attached directly to the motor.

Re: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - K. L. McReynolds - 07-12-2016

Sounds like you bent the shroud and it is rubbing against the rotating motor part.

RE: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - EricU - 12-22-2016

(07-11-2016, 10:49 PM)FIB 1 Wrote: Did you check to see if the rotation switch has been knocked out of position?  That did happen as a result of a pillow fight.  Pushed it back to its end position and the fan worked fine.  There was no shear pin.

I never responded back to this post.  The switch was in an intermediate position between forward and backward.  I must have hit it hard enough that it got dislodged.

RE: do ceiling fans have a shear pin? - luka - 12-27-2016

No, the ceiling fans don't have a share pin