Woodnet Forums
Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? (/showthread.php?tid=7321228)

Pages: 1 2 3

Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Bill_Houghton - 08-02-2016

MODERATORS:  I got an e-mail today titled, "Access To Your "Woodworking Projects" Package is Available!”  It touts 14,500 woodworking plans on offer.

Is this a scam?  I can forward the message if you’d like (I think I can do that without importing any malware on it); just let me know how you'd like it forwarded.

If a scam, a PSA on the most often used boards might be good.

I noticed a post on the Woodworking board raising the same concern (https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7321222

This would imply that there may be a security issue in your software - has someone hacked into profiles and harvested e-mail addresses?

TO FELLOW MEMBERS: until we get clarification, DON'T open any links on such an e-mail, as they may lead to malware.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - meackerman - 08-02-2016

yes its a scam.  Probably the same DB that's been taking August Home's plans and selling them without permission for a while now.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - KlausK. - 08-02-2016

Got the same email today. It's the last one in a row of about 30 or 40 I've got the last few months that went into the spam. This time it was the 1st time a relation to Woodnet was claimed.

Klaus

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Tony Z - 08-02-2016

Think it is the same that shows up on Twitter.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Alan S - 08-02-2016

So I guess the question is whether everyone got it, which would strongly support the idea that the spammer got into the email address list. If anyone DID NOT get such an email at the address they use for logging in here, perhaps it would be worth mentioning.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Admiral - 08-02-2016

I did.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - MarkSingleton - 08-02-2016

Just checked my spam folder. Sure enough, there it was.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - Aram - 08-02-2016

Yes, I got it. Straight into my Spam folder. But then, of course I got it -- I am, after all, a VIP member. Or so the email told me.
Rolleyes

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - AHill - 08-03-2016

I got it.  It went to my gmail spam folder.  When I suggested the site admins may have been responsible, they say they didn't send the email, and that the sender faked a woodnet domain address.  Well, OK, but somehow, a spammer got a hold of a lot of WoodNetters home email addresses.  That's somewhat disconcerting.  I am so looking forward to getting more spam in my inbox at home.  I deleted the email.

RE: Moderators and members: E-mail scam? - RB61 - 08-03-2016

I received this several months ago. Not sure if woodnet was mentioned.