Woodnet Forums
Columbian vise rehab II - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Columbian vise rehab II (/showthread.php?tid=7321553)

Columbian vise rehab II - JimReed@Tallahassee - 08-10-2016

Monsoon continues here in north Florida. At least it is cooler now. The next step for our Columbian woodworking vise is to prep itĀ for paint. We all know that good paint prep is key to a quality restoration. This is a nice vise and needed little body work--mostly just some filing to clean up jagged casting marks. Like an auto, this is the time to bang out the dents. My research shows that everything from bondo to glue is used to fill holes and gaps, but the product of choice is JB Weld. There is nothing to fill in here, so I can skip that step and proceed with the cover up.

I started with painters tape, kraft paper, and newspaper.

[Image: DSCN0438.jpg]
Then I made two rods by wrapping scrap with newspaper. These will support the static back of the vise and keep paint out of the guide bushings.

[Image: DSCN0439.jpg]
I did not want paint to drip onto the screw. Normally, one would drill out the rivet and remove the screw. I wanted to avoid that step, so I wrapped the screw with four or five courses of butchers twine. Then I caulked it in with a screwdriver. Let's hope it comes out easily.

[Image: DSCN0441.jpg]
The dynamic front is pretty heavy, so I used an old plane body as a counterweight.

[Image: DSCN0443.jpg]

Then I made a stand for the static back and found some scraps to prop the front on.

[Image: DSCN0442.jpg]

I have everything primer ready so now we are waiting for a break in the weather. I want a sunny day where I can put the pieces in the driveway and heat them up in the sun. Heat should make the primer bake on. Sorry this project is taking so long but north Florida weather can put a crimp in schedules.

RE: Columbian vise rehab II - Window Guy - 08-11-2016

Looks good so far, yeah you will have plenty of Sunny Day's no need to rush it and ruin your restoration. I am sure it will look like a Million Bucks when you through.

Steve

RE: Columbian vise rehab II - WoodTinker - 08-12-2016

You really should lower the sawblade in that tablesaw. But you knew that already.

RE: Columbian vise rehab II - JimReed@Tallahassee - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 09:26 AM)WoodTinker Wrote: You really should lower the sawblade in that tablesaw. But you knew that already.

Good observation. I use it more as a table than a saw and really need to hunt up the guard.