Woodnet Forums
Thanks, Rob! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Thanks, Rob! (/showthread.php?tid=7321605)

Pages: 1 2

Thanks, Rob! - AHill - 08-11-2016

Just when I thought I had some money in my wallet, Lee Valley goes and introduces Veritas Mortise Chisels.  Available in A2 or PM-V11.  A2 anywhere from $65 to $69 each.  PM-V11 anywhere from $85 to $105 each.

[Image: 05s3102s01.jpg]

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Strokes77 - 08-11-2016

So are they sash type chisels, or more like tapered pig sticker style?  I can't tell from the marketing.

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 08-11-2016

Aww, geez.
You just had to go ahead and post this, didn't you? I hadn't seen these yet, and my wallet is dragging me into other wants right now.

I have the full set of LV PM-V11 bench chisels. I guess these will have to be added, too.

Sigh

RE: Thanks, Rob! - DCarr10760 - 08-11-2016

Look at those rounded bevels! That seems like a good idea.

DC

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Gary™ - 08-11-2016

This is a timely post. I've been waiting for the Ray Illes chisels to be restocked for a long time. These seem comparable

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Window Guy - 08-12-2016

Those are beauties for sure, but so far my Narrex Chisels work just fine.

Steve

RE: Thanks, Rob! - smoothjazz27 - 08-12-2016

Lee Valley comes through again with another winner in these mortise chisels!!  I just purchased my first LV PM-V11 Bench Chisel last month, and what a difference in feel and performance to the bench chisels I currently own.  I hope to sell all the old bench chisels I have, and hopefully have enough money to purchase another one of the fine bench chisels.  I have a decent set of mortise chisels that I picked up over the years, but I know where to turn if I need any new ones, or one just happens to get lost or damaged
Wink

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Admiral - 08-12-2016

Nice chisels for sure and they fill a void in LV's premium chisel line, but somehow, for chopping mortises, I question the "need" for the V11 steel, seems like total overkill; I can't remember a time I ever had to sharpen mortise chisels in mid job because of dullness, and I have what I think is O1 in my Sorby mortising chisels.  Bench chisels, paring chisels where you are doing fine work, sure, I can see why fudge would want V11, but mortise?  I really don't see the value add for this application.  I think LV gets it, as they are also available for 25% less in A1, which should be quite serviceable for most any wood. I guess LV's logic is if you went to the trouble of developing the V11, why not offer it.  Others may differ......

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Window Guy - 08-12-2016

Hmmmmm never thought about it that way Rich but I have to agree with you. I guess it is the bling factor, but I am not knocking them by no means as they offer excellent tools.

Steve

RE: Thanks, Rob! - Bibliophile 13 - 08-12-2016

They sure look nice. I'd call them a "sash mortise chisel" style, just because of the shape of the handles, and the hoops. I'm sure they're very, very nice.

But like Admiral, I've never had to resharpen a mortise chisel mid-mortise, and I use the cheap Narex ones. I'll admire them from afar, but I won't be buying them.