Woodnet Forums
Daughter help needed! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Daughter help needed! (/showthread.php?tid=7322804)

Pages: 1 2

Daughter help needed! - Tony Z - 09-15-2016

Ok, here's the thing, my older daughters, 36 & 34, have decided they want tools for upcoming birthdays and Christmas. One is an architect, the other a graphic designer and have been around tools all of their lives (I won't get into their specific requests, but I will modify them a bit). Anyhow, I've begun to build benches for each, handtool height, with a top about 60" x 24".

My quandry is the type of vice to put on. I'm leaning towards a "parrot" style, mainly because of the other thread, plus I have one. Ths will be the only work holding method, until I see how they use the benches.

Thoughts?

RE: Daughter help needed! - blackhat - 09-15-2016

Most of my special purpose vises and work holding jigs get clamped into the face vise

RE: Daughter help needed! - Mr Eddie - 09-15-2016

I think a face vise would be the most useful.  Also, if you haven't made the tops yet, I would make them wider 30-36".  Just my 2 cents worth.

Lonnie

RE: Daughter help needed! - JimReed@Tallahassee - 09-15-2016

It is too easy to go overboard. I thing the parrot vise is an excellent idea. Let their work dictate upgrades. Good luck with your project.

RE: Daughter help needed! - Hank Knight - 09-15-2016

Tony,

Why don't you give them several options, explain the pros and cons of each and ask them what they prefer.
Just a thought.

Hank

RE: Daughter help needed! - iclark - 09-16-2016

What do they think that they want to build?

Are you planning it with rows of round dog holes for holdfasts and planing stops/battens?

If not, why would they need planes or chisels if all they have is a parrot vise?

A traditional leg vise as the front vise can be easily removed if it is in their way. It is also good for holding a parrot vise base.

A Veritas twin screw vise makes a great general purpose end vise.

If either of them is likely to do complicated geometries, then a patternmaker's vise might be a better choice for a front vise than the leg vise for her.

For me, the shoulder vise is about the only style that gets in the way more than it gets used.

RE: Daughter help needed! - Tony Z - 09-16-2016

Some details: 34 year old just wants to do work around her house, so, I think it better to have a work surface for her to get started with, and adapt as she needs items. 36 year old had a fully equipped power tool shop in college and a good instructor that taught them saftey and how to use the tools.

Both have husbands with two left hands (each)! Will the daughters be hand tool users? I hope, but that is not their wish for starting. So, my thoughts are work surface (benches that can be added to), pair of saw horses each (made for sawing with a hand saw!), St. Roy styled tool tote (complete with panel rip & CC, egg beater, a few chisels, etc.) as a start (plus a few books for inspiration).

More thoughts?

RE: Daughter help needed! - JimReed@Tallahassee - 09-16-2016

It so happens that I am currently building a workbench for my daughter (35) and her family. I plan to attach a woodworking vise and a metalworking vise. I am including the ww vise only because my granddaughter loves a wood vise. The ww vise will be built in on a corner. I like to mount metalworking vises to platforms and then attach the platforms so they are sturdy but movable. Metal vise is undecided. I may start with a little one because she wants to do some jewelry work. I am also refurbing an eggbeater for her.

RE: Daughter help needed! - Anji12305 - 09-16-2016

If your daughters are like my two sons, things best be EXACTLY the same, or there will blood...

I would suggest a face vise, with an optional machinist vise that can be affixed for handling pipe and metal work.

https://youtu.be/Bh4-hpgtbOs

RE: Daughter help needed! - Admiral - 09-16-2016

A parrot vice is really pretty specialized.  From the "use cases" you are describing, which are not hand tool related in any sense, the most flexible and useful would be a medium to large size  machinists vice on one corner, then as Jim says, add on whatever makes sense as the use cases evolve.