Woodnet Forums
Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? (/showthread.php?tid=7322889)

Pages: 1 2

Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - jteneyck - 09-18-2016

It seems things go wrong when I'm not home.  Number two, and a near disaster, while I was gone for a couple of weeks was a water leak in my hydronic boiler's expansion tank.  It dumped out several gallons of water but by some miracle then stopped.  I still don't know why, but I am grateful.

I've worried about a water leak for a long time.  This close call is a call to action so I'm interested to know who here has an automatic water shutoff system?  Brand, good/bad, do's/don'ts, I need to get educated.  Please tell me what you know.  Thanks.

John

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - Stwood_ - 09-18-2016

Why auto when you leave? Just shut off the main valve, and shut off hot water tank if it is electric.

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - jteneyck - 09-18-2016

Because that would make it really inconvenient for the folks who feed and water my cats when I'm away, nor would it offer any protection should I get a leak if I'm just out for the day.  

John

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - jlanciani - 09-18-2016

Well or city water?

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - EricU - 09-18-2016

thought about it after I had a water heater p&t valve go bad and fill up the sump the water heater was sitting in after the sump pump died.  Seems like they aren't that expensive

(09-18-2016, 04:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Because that would make it really inconvenient for the folks who feed and water my cats when I'm away, nor would it offer any protection should I get a leak if I'm just out for the day.  

John

So how about a solenoid water valve you can control with a wall switch?

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - jteneyck - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 05:23 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So how about a solenoid water valve you can control with a wall switch?

Not practical - you don't know my wife.  And what if I wanted to leave the sprinkler on while I'm away for several hours? 

I'm looking for a no-operator-input-required system. 

John

(09-18-2016, 04:47 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Well or city water?

City water.

John

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - Bob10 - 09-18-2016

www.floodmaster.com

RE: Who has an automatic water shutoff system? - jlanciani - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 05:46 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not practical - you don't know my wife.  And what if I wanted to leave the sprinkler on while I'm away for several hours? 

I'm looking for a no-operator-input-required system. 

John

City water.

John
Oh ok, no point telling you about the system I have that shuts off the well pump if it detects water on the floor then.

(09-18-2016, 05:46 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not practical - you don't know my wife.   

John

Never dated her that I can remember.....
Laugh