Woodnet Forums
To help your Secret Santa friends - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: To help your Secret Santa friends (/showthread.php?tid=7323928)

Pages: 1 2 3

To help your Secret Santa friends - Arlin Eastman - 10-16-2016

It seems every year we have one to help the ones who are buying for us so they do not have to do the searching.

So I will start one here.

We can use either of two things

1. A #71 with all the cutters
2. A small shoulder Plane

Also if you have not signed up yet get on the ball and do not wait

Arlin

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - Aram - 10-16-2016

Thanks, Arlin.

Secret Santas -- don't get weirded out by posting here. I say this as a former organizer and many time participator. Yeah, it feels weird to ask strangers for things but it can be a big help! The less you have posted, the more it helps.

For me, my first choice would be donations. Especially if there is a way to donate woodworking tools to those deployed by our military or wounded vets. If you insist on giving a gift, anything hand made will always be treasured. I have a great selection of hand tools already. Some nice bonuses would be a side float. An edge float. The book By Hand and Eye. The book By Hound and Eye. Ron Hock's Krenov-style 3 1/2" plane blades in 1 1/2" width. (I make a lot of hand planes!)

Thanks again to the organizers!

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - doobes - 10-16-2016

Great message, thanks Arlin.

Anybody who signed up should think about putting some hints here!

Cheers,

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - Bibliophile 13 - 10-17-2016

My family used to have a Christmas tradition of making and distributing wish-lists, so this feels completely natural to me. I grew up in a big family, and we were always practical, frugal people. We loved giving gifts that we knew the recipient would be thrilled with, and since we were free to give gifts that were not on the lists, it didn't diminish the element of surprise.

So here are some things I would love to find under the tree on Christmas morning:

- Vintage chisels (any sizes, and I love making my own handles, so missing/broken handles are a plus!)
- Coping saw blades and/or 12" turning saw blades (from TFWW)
- New O1 blade (or vintage blade) for my Stanley #6, which takes a 2 3/8" wide blade.
- Turning tools (I'm about to set up a lathe, and I have no lathe tools--any and all are welcome)
- Shoulder plane (such as the Stanley 90 or 92--or the LN medium shoulder plane if Santa is feeling extra generous.)
- Any and all smaller tools (planes, chisels, saws, drills, etc.) that I could keep on hand for my small children to use.

A lot of people like to gift wood, which is always welcome. I already have lots of domestics on hand, but I'd be thrilled with some exotics.

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - SCMedLion - 10-22-2016

I am always thrilled with whatever comes from the Secret Santa.  Over the years this has run the gamut, from bits of wood for small turning stock, to completely finished attractive tools, like marking knives or spokeshaves.  Other times I have received well-used tools like a #3 hand plane (whose previous owner I will always recall when using it), or things I would not have thought of on my own, like brass bar stock.

I know it sounds sappy, but it really is the thought that counts. I especially hope that anyone who wants to participate does so, not thinking they have to go out and spend money when they may not have much cash to spend. So, in my mind creativity is the key.  If you have the time and the interest, make something.  If I have another similar item, I may well put the current one aside in favor of using the one I received as a Secret Santa gift from a fellow Woodnetter! (You just can't know everything that is in your gift's shop, so why worry?!)

With that intro, if my Santa is curious about my current stock, I am a very occasional woodworker at present because I have four children in the thick of their formative years.  They get most of what free time I have.  I figure the tools will keep until they're off to college, apart from the occasional project that may be needed for the home with some urgency.  My interests are obviously toward the hand tool spectrum.  I'm set for backsaws but always interested in panel saws.  I think I have one D-8 rip and a similar model in crosscut.  I also have put off making a bowsaw, despite making one for Secret Santa a couple of years ago. I have a lathe an have done some turning projects, mostly spindle work.  I do love to use handplanes, and I have a pretty good stable of metal planes. While I have some wooden molding planes, I am intrigued to try wooden bench planes. Have several braces and a few bits.

I would like to try my hand as some basic veneering and marquetry some time, perhaps a basic chess board, etc.  A sampling of veneers and some hide glue might allow for some practice when the time comes.  (I painted a ceramic chess set for my son a few years ago that still needs something more than the pitiful "cardboard and marker" board he received with it.) Chairmaking is another "someday" interest.

Truly anything will be great fun to open and add to the shop.

I hope this gives a sufficiently broad idea of me since I have not been a frequent Wooden poster of late.  I look forward to the annual thread of pictured gifts come Christmas!

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - Strokes77 - 10-22-2016

Dear Santa Claus,

I know if can be incredibly difficult to gift things to people... geez, especially someone you don't even know.  Hints are great.  I think it would be interesting to try a pin style mortising gauge.  I have the veritas wheel version, but it doesn't fit me very much... Also, I tried to do some curved work the other day, and I have a nice fancy spokeshave from Maine, but I felt like I could have used a nice rasp, or maybe some files to clean up the curves.... by hand and with sandpaper was taking a bit too long.  I've never turned anything before, and I'm intimidated by the spinning things.. I like things to be quiet.  You know what Santa, the other day I kept loosing my pencil and ruler... I used to have a shop apron, it was similar to the one that LeeValley makes, but I can't find it anymore.. And I think when I lost it, it had my marking knife in it... I wonder where I could get a good marking knife made?  Did someone say small brad point drill bits? I think I have broken them all trying to fiddle with my old egg beater.  Good thing I have only chopped a 5/16" mortise, hope I don't ever need to chop a different size because that's all Ray Iles sent me...  You know, it's hard for me to clean out dovetails without the 3/16" pmv 11 bench chisel, that seems to be the only size that gives me trouble... I would love to read mortise and tenon magazine, but alas...  My favorite of all Mr. Santa would be if you're elves could make something for me.. Gifts made in the elf's shop would be most precious.

You know what, Santa, regardless of what you decide, it's the spirit of giving, and Christ's birthday that's most important.

Thanks.

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - DaveBeauchesne - 11-05-2016

Well WoodNetters, it looks like I am in the SS again this year.

I do not post that much, but enjoy WN very much.

I am a blended Shop kinda guy, and really enjoy refurbishing old tools and getting them singing again. Alas, I have much more than enough to refurbish before I go to the shaving pile in the sky I am afraid. I have made several Krenov style planes, and use a few 100ish year old Stanleys that I use with much joy.

A shop made hand tool of any kind would be most appreciated, unique smaller turning stock ( for tool handles ), an old axe head to re-handle, I just lost my prized fifties vintage Frost - Mora knife and sheath I use for Mushroom foraging ( but the newer ones are just fine ), an old back saw to refurbish ( I have more than enough full size rip and crosscuts ) micro film for sharpening from LV, a water stone, and oil honing stone, or just anything at all - it is the season of giving, and the thought is what counts.

Merry Christmas to all - I got my recipients name today, he is a regular poster, I just have to weed through things and see what I can come up with.

Dave B

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - colibas - 11-07-2016

I'm like others, I don't post often, but I have learned half of what I know from reading the knowledgeable and good people who post here. I'm always challenged for shop time, so I don't have many projects to post about. But I enjoy the discussions. I really enjoy Secret Santa, and I always look forward to that personal contact with someone you've seen post on-line.

My woodworking often includes carving, and I like to read blogs and articles by Peter Follonsbee, David Fisher, and Jarrod Stone Dahl. I made a 17th-century-ish carved box recently, and I caught the spoon carving bug. I love the look of Jögge Sundqvist's carved shrink pots and Robin Wood's bowls.

Anything in that line of things would be great. I have a sloyd knife from Del Stubbs and a deep bent knife from North Bay Forge. I don't have a decent axe. I have not been able to master sharpening the hatchet I picked up at a garage sale. An axe or instructions or help in that regard would be great. I also have a Lee Valley wish list.

I've received a wide range of gifts over the years of SS, and I've never been disappointed. It's always a pleasure to bring Christmas joy to as big a circle of people as possible. Whatever my SS sends will be very welcome.

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - Pat Zabrocki - 11-07-2016

I haven't been posting for a while. Getting married soon and a new house as well so plenty of things going on. Better post here or my poor Santa won't have a chance.
Can't seem to find a Stanley 720 1/4 inch without pitting on the back so one of those would be great
Lee Valley PMV-11 3/8 or 3/16. I got a 1/4 a year or so ago and it is awesome.
Lie Nielsen 7/8 socket chisel, I've got all the others, so may as well have the latest
Smile
Lee Valley 24 inch shooting board track
Lee Valley apartment workbench plan
Veritas basic grinding set
any pieces of applewood suitable for a saw handle or turning chisel handles
a couple Veritas 3/4 inch lamp bushings
Pat Zabrocki

RE: To help your Secret Santa friends - Scoony - 11-10-2016

One of each of what ever is on Patrick's monthly mailing (Blood & Gore).  No just kidding.

Been thinking about this for a few days. I am pretty complete on hand tools but there is one thing that I have really been thinking about for a while. One of those small wooden marking gauges that holds a pencil. I have the regular sized wheel, pin, and knife gauges, but a small one that could hold a pencil would be very useful in my shop. There was someone years ago here on woodnet that made them. They were short with maybe a 4" arm and a 4" fence.  A kit or parts to make one would be cool.

In lieu of that, a tool roll would help me to organize chisels.