Woodnet Forums
Choosing a foundation contractor? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Choosing a foundation contractor? (/showthread.php?tid=7324210)

Pages: 1 2 3

Choosing a foundation contractor? - CJIII - 10-24-2016

I got three estimates for getting a slab pour for my 12x20 garage/woodworking shop one for $1200, $1600, and $2000. The last two contractors came and look at the site, those prices are for digging the footings, forming it up, and pouring and finishing the concrete. Which one should I pick?

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - MikeBob - 10-24-2016

As a retired General Contractor usually  never the cheapest unless some one is hungry for work and very good references. No matter which one, hold back 25% for 30 days if you have a problem, you have leverage.
If in a cold climate and going to heat it i would think about some hard foam insulation under it unless you have other plans for insulation  above it.

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - CJIII - 10-24-2016

I live in Central Alabama.

(10-24-2016, 09:19 PM)CJIII Wrote: I live in Central Alabama.

Then I would think no insulation is needed, I am a WI guy. If the cheapest never came out, either he is really busy or does gives a F. I would go with the middle guy, pick his brain a bit, get references, the top guy might be busy and has the higher price as gravy for your job. I priced things that way, when slow went cheap on pricing because I needed the work, when busy I bumped it up a notch above my regular rate. Supply and demand.

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - CJIII - 10-24-2016

Ok I will ask him a lot questions!

How thick is the concrete base? Are they going to put down a subbase of gravel/crushed stone? If so that will help in a more stable base usually and prevent cracking of the concrete, no guarantee but helps. Wire mesh?  Al good questions to ask for your $.

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - CJIII - 10-25-2016

Will use rebar, and wire mesh. The slab will be 4'' thick.

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - blackhat - 10-25-2016

Did you show them pictures of the lake in your back yard?  Have you fixed that problem yet?

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - JGrout - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 07:38 AM)blackhat Wrote: Did you show them pictures of the lake in your back yard?  Have you fixed that problem yet?

In central Alabama 

Big Grin

RE: Choosing a foundation contractor? - CJIII - 10-25-2016

The water wont be a problem, I am going to plant sod in the area once the garage is built.