Woodnet Forums
It is never too late -- SawStop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: It is never too late -- SawStop (/showthread.php?tid=7324243)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

It is never too late -- SawStop - Handplanesandmore - 10-25-2016

From another forum (extract):

"So I decided that I would NEVER buy a saw with Sawstop technology on it, at least until another company developed a similar product independently.

Then, on October 1, all that changed. In a brief 30 millisecond lapse of concentration, I got the pad of my left thumb where it should not be and cut it all the way down to the bone.
16 stitches, IV antibiotics, tetanus shot, and pain pills later and I am now mending again.

So, for those of you who think you are charmed into not hurting yourself, I urge you to reconsider and "do as I say; not as I do" LOL. Go get a Sawstop ASAP."

This fellow is an experienced woodworker and tablesaw accidents can happen to anyone.

Simon

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - JGrout - 10-25-2016

sorry you got hurt 

So no blade cover then?

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - AlanBienlein - 10-26-2016

A blade guard doesn't stop accidents like this from happening. I still vividly remember pickiing up one coworkers two fingers and thumb after he cut them off ripping strips of laminate for counter top edging and the guard was on the saw at the time.

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - fredhargis - 10-26-2016

Sad to hear (from a SS owner). But:

[Image: eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif]

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - JGrout - 10-26-2016

I never said the blade guard prevented accidents 

I asked if it was there 

HTH

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - rwe2156 - 10-26-2016

Sorry you got hurt but getting a SS doesn't totally prevent getting hurt.

You could have just as easily gotten hurt using a band saw or miter saw.  I've always wondered what the stats are with someone cutting their thumb off pushing wood through a bandsaw.

Then there's kickbacks.......

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - mad_planter - 10-26-2016

I don't think anyone believes sawstop's technology is bad;  I think what most people object to is GasBags attempt to force everyone to buy it.

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - Robert Adams - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 09:27 AM)mad_planter Wrote: I don't think anyone believes sawstop's technology is bad;  I think what most people object to is GasBags attempt to force everyone to buy it.

Exactly correct. And obviously ththe profits are quite high if he has the funds to spend on frivolous lawsuits. Is sad that the machines are a great product but it's run by one who isn't interested in preventing injuries but it's only interested in being the only one that has a product to do so. Too much ego and greed there.

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - meackerman - 10-26-2016

my FIL is a longtime, about to retire, general contractor.  Has used a table saw a bunch, and lots of other powertools but his two serious injuries have been with a circular saw, end of day, tired, lack of concentration, hurry to finish up this last thing.  slices his thigh open.   

you can get hurt on any tool.

My most serious injury has been when using chisels.

RE: It is never too late -- SawStop - tomsteve - 10-26-2016

if hes payin for it ill take one.
it still wouldn't remove my responsibility to use my power tools in a safe manner.