Woodnet Forums
Deck Update - 2016 Progress - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Deck Update - 2016 Progress (/showthread.php?tid=7324581)

Pages: 1 2

Deck Update - 2016 Progress - jteneyck - 11-04-2016

You might remember that I built a new deck last Summer.  Here's what me efforts looked like back then:

[Image: p67oES58LTfkkNSsici1QKQZkbMoAyExkFtaUFRd...40-h480-no]

What I didn't show off to the right was my old patio, a slab of cracked and tipped concrete that needed to be replaced so that I could install the stairs on that side and then add some more deck related features. 

In July (I think) I had the patio replaced, and then I built most of the remaining components.  I had to buy some more Ipe' (ouch), and decided to let it sit until next Spring so that it can shrink to its equilibrium width.  Hint:  It takes a lot longer to reach its final width than the manufacturers suggest.  Better to let that happen before using it.  Anyway, here's where I am now:

[Image: 80XYL-MaATT78RvjTEvmnBcKBBJUtA90IihnP8pZ...06-h566-no]

[Image: 1y98RCvN4cD4oCaPrX5uCVQUaAezAn9PHrureQjG...06-h566-no]

The wood I'm letting sit 'til next year is stickered under the bench.  

[Image: 1Mbpsy9-KJDSDMkATwduDgCSboXEs-J999hrihMH...06-h566-no]

Next year I'll finish the trim out.  Then I'll add a light post near each set of steps and lights on the front faces of the planter boxes on the deck.  Not sure yet if I'll install any handrails; not required by code but that won't drive my decision. 

Anyway, it's a wrap for this year.

John

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - Steve N - 11-04-2016

Looks homey John. Heck I'm more relaxed since I opened the thread
Big Grin

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - Gabby - 11-04-2016

Wow , John that looks great ! As Steve said it looks very comfortable . I guess your ready to have all your woodnet friends over for a fall cookout > Very nice . Gary

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - jteneyck - 11-04-2016

(11-04-2016, 08:33 PM)Gabby Wrote: Wow , John that looks great ! As Steve said it looks very comfortable . I guess your ready to have all your woodnet friends over for a fall cookout > Very nice . Gary

It's not too late, Steve and Gabby, and ya'lll; come on up, the weather has been great this Fall.  One of my WoodNet friends, Ken Vick, lives only 4 miles away and comes by now and then to enjoy a coffee or beer.  I make him work for them, though.  But he's abandoned WNY for several weeks so I'm starved for woodworking interaction.  I've got plenty of good wine that needs to be drunk and I make a pretty good barbecue for a yanky.  

Not to late for a road trip!  But hurry, igloo season is nearly here.  

John

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - Phil S. - 11-04-2016

John -

I don't recall what finish you used on your Ipe.  What did you used and how is it holding up one year in?  Are you pleased with it?  I've been thinking of building a table for the deck out of Ipe and it would see a lot of rain up here.  The local airport has some seating in front of the terminal made from Ipe and I don't think they had any finish on them - just let them weather to a gray color.

Phil

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - Phil Thien - 11-04-2016

That really looks terrific. Hope you get lots of great weather so you can use it often.

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - jteneyck - 11-05-2016

Hi Phil,

I used Ipe' Oil, sold by Advantage Lumber where I bought the Ipe'.  It looks great when you first put it on, but it fades pretty quickly.  The directions say to apply it only once/year.  After a year it looked pretty poor, and I had to do a pretty thorough cleaning with Deck Wash to get the dirt out of it and make it look good again.  When I applied the next coat of Ipe' Oil it looked as good as new again, fortunately.  It's fading again but maybe not quite as fast as after the first coat.  But I'm not waiting a year this time.  I plan to clean it no later than next May and apply another coat and then repeat it in Sept/Oct.  Not sure if I'll continue to use Ipe' Oil or try something else though. 

I plan to build a new table for the deck with Ipe', too.  A word of warning.  Let your lumber dry for at least a month after you buy it, preferably several months, before starting your build.  Ipe' is only partially air dried when you buy it, and it shrinks a lot as I learned the hard way.  Advantage says to sticker it outside for 2 weeks before using it.  I waited 3 weeks and it still shrank at least an 1/8" over 5-1/2" after only a couple of months.  Since then, it's been stable, but the gaps in the deck are now too large for my liking, and there's really nothing I can do about it.  Stupid me, I should have used my moisture meter to see if it was at EMC before using it.  Next time, I will, especially for a table build.  

John

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - David G - 11-06-2016

Gorgeous job.  Looks very comfortable.  What is the roof device above the patio door?

As always, thanks for your build along threads. I have learned much.

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - DogwoodTales - 11-06-2016

sweet - I like the fire circle in the patio too (well, that's what i would use it for anyway)

RE: Deck Update - 2016 Progress - jteneyck - 11-06-2016

(11-06-2016, 07:42 AM)David G Wrote: Gorgeous job.  Looks very comfortable.  What is the roof device above the patio door?

As always, thanks for your build along threads. I have learned much.

Thanks.  That is a rectractable awning:

[Image: wtSJSHnsGwZmCG9V8B083w41kfnpo6VSBjPay4Ni...40-h480-no]

It's 16 ft wide and projects out 13.5' at full extension which is enough to shade the table and chairs but not cover the entire deck.  I contemplated a complete awning over the deck, but my wife and a decided it would look too dark in the kitchen.  This awning has a power extension/retraction option, and I highly recommend it if you get one.  It would take forever to crank it in and out by hand.  The rectractable type like this can only withstand a 25 mile per hour wind, and only moderate rain, so you can't extend it once at the beginning of the season and expect to just leave it that way until the end of the season.  These things are outrageously expensive, but sometimes you just have to pony up your money for something you really want.  I did and I'm happy because now I can use it most days in the Summer.  

John