Woodnet Forums
Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please (/showthread.php?tid=7324992)

Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - lilrichard2 - 11-12-2016

Look these pictures over and tell me whether it has been bent, or is it designed to be this way. I'm assuming that it has a high rake - just worried about the angles of the individual handles relative to the blade..

[Image: DSCN3117.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3118.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3119.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3120.jpg]

r2

RE: Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - Boatman53 - 11-12-2016

Looks to me like someone bent them and not the same. That's just what I get from the photos. Actually it look like it would be very difficult to use. Have you tried it at all?

Jim

RE: Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - Bill_Houghton - 11-12-2016

Looks like it was bent on purpose to me, too, perhaps for use on some work that needed the clearance, such as barrel-making.  The handles are adjustable, but even adjusted better, they'd be awkward.

If they were bent out, I imagine that they can be bent back; but you might want to heat them first.  Find a local blacksmith type who understands you don't want to lose the temper on the cutting edge.

Little bit of a bummer that someone did this with an folding-handle drawknife. At least around here, drawknives are common; but I've only seen two folding-handle knives, both of which followed me home (my son now has one).

RE: Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - Admiral - 11-12-2016

Bent. Likely on purpose.

RE: Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please - blackhat - 11-13-2016

Wink Any half decent blacksmith type should be able to rebend them. You just need to find another to match it to