Woodnet Forums
Who to call for this job? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Who to call for this job? (/showthread.php?tid=7325593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Who to call for this job? - JSpill - 11-26-2016

I need to have a clothes washer/dryer combo installed on the second floor of my house. I don't know where it should go. Who should I call to tell me the best place were the unit should be? Should I call a general contractor? Would a plumber be the guy to talk to? There will be carpentry work involved. I just don't know where to begin. How would you go about finding out how this job should be done?

RE: Who to call for this job? - Roly - 11-26-2016

I would think a plumber would be first.    Installing plumbing can be costly and he could determine which location(s)  would be best.   If you know a good general contractor they could advise also but probably would consult their plumber.    Roly
 Let me add,  if you are going to have a general contractor do the job, start with him.   He will work with the plumber to determine what is best from everyone's viewpoint.

RE: Who to call for this job? - MikeBob - 11-26-2016

Most cases a second floor washing machine set up requires a floor drain also.

RE: Who to call for this job? - meackerman - 11-26-2016

Framing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, finish work, permits.... I'd find a general contractor, let them find the plumber, electrician etc and handle it all

RE: Who to call for this job? - EricU - 11-26-2016

(11-26-2016, 12:28 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Most cases a second floor washing machine set up requires a floor drain also.

my understanding is that it also requires an automatic valve to keep the trap full

I would call a plumber and ask them what to do

RE: Who to call for this job? - Stwood_ - 11-26-2016

Handyman. One that can pretty much do everything. May want to consult with a plumber at the same calling

RE: Who to call for this job? - woodhead - 11-26-2016

(11-26-2016, 01:25 PM)meackerman Wrote: Framing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, finish work, permits....  I'd find a general contractor,  let them find the plumber, electrician etc and handle it all

...and coordinate the effort.

Al

RE: Who to call for this job? - MikeBob - 11-26-2016

(11-26-2016, 04:43 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Handyman. One that can pretty much do everything. May want to consult with a plumber at the same calling

This aint no job for a handy man, you need a plumper and an electrician for sure. Permits depending on where you live.

RE: Who to call for this job? - GHR - 11-26-2016

(11-26-2016, 11:59 AM)JSpill Wrote: I need to have a clothes washer/dryer combo installed on the second floor of my house. I don't know where it should go. Who should I call to tell me the best place were the unit should be? Should I call a general contractor? Would a plumber be the guy to talk to? There will be carpentry work involved. I just don't know where to begin. How would you go about finding out how this job should be done?

Do you have a neighbor or friend who has done some construction work? That is who I would talk to first. He might keep you from making a costly mistake.

If you have plumbing and electric near a closet, I would think that is the best place. Stackable units will fit in a smallish closet. 

If you have a closet behind a bathroom vanity, the job might be trivial.

RE: Who to call for this job? - Dennis Puskar - 11-26-2016

If I couldn't install them myself I would look for a handyman service or a general contractor.