Woodnet Forums
Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander (/showthread.php?tid=7325867)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - meackerman - 09-30-2019

for its price its hard to beat.  a dedicated spindle sander or belt sander will probably be better, but cost a lot more.

its biggest limitation to me is the size of its belt, its on the small size, but I don't know that anything could be done about that and keep the unit as small as it is.  

for ~$250 its worth it.

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - Cian - 10-01-2019

(09-30-2019, 03:11 PM)meackerman Wrote: for its price its hard to beat.  a dedicated spindle sander or belt sander will probably be better, but cost a lot more.

its biggest limitation to me is the size of its belt, its on the small size, but I don't know that anything could be done about that and keep the unit as small as it is.  

for ~$250 its worth it.

What he said.  It really offers a lot more utility than the asking price.

[Image: IMG_2617.jpg]

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - dg152 - 10-01-2019

The latest issue of Wood Magazine has a review of spindle sanders and included the Ridgid sander you are asking about. I haven't had a chance to read the whole article but did see where they rated the Ridgid as the top value tool. It might be worth a read for you.

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - Cooler - 10-02-2019

I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

Don't lose the key.  Otherwise you will spend $20.00 buying a new one on line.  Home Depot would not order one for me and they don't stock replacement parts.

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - stav - 10-02-2019

(10-02-2019, 12:01 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

Don't lose the key.  Otherwise you will spend $20.00 buying a new one on line.  Home Depot would not order one for me and they don't stock replacement parts.

Craftsman had those keys in a lot of their stuff too.  A large staple often fit the bill if i lost the switch key.

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - Pirate - 10-02-2019

Great machine for the home shop.
When designing something to build, I try to use a sanding sleeve to mark an inside radius cut. Then use that size sleeve to sand cut.
A friend gave me his when he had problems with it. I fixed it and it later died.
I bought a new one. The only benchtop or stationary tool I have ever bought!

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - wjt - 10-02-2019

(10-02-2019, 12:01 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

ereplacementparts.com has the key.
Cost - $1.70 + Shipping
They show 25 in stock.

Bill

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - Cooler - 10-03-2019

(10-02-2019, 04:21 PM)wjt Wrote: ereplacementparts.com has the key.
Cost - $1.70 + Shipping
They show 25 in stock.

Bill

I don't remember the exact price.  It might have been less than $20.00, but it was high enough to get me pissed off.  I should have been able to order replacements from the Home Depot store where I bought it. 

I will keep ereplacmenparts in my file for future reference.

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - PedroOhare - 10-03-2019

It looks like Grizzly and Wen now offer similar units. Not sure if a patent expired or they are licensed or what.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spindle+sander&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

My first thought would be to trust the Grizzly but I would probably have to read all the specs first.

Pedro

RE: Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander - meackerman - 10-03-2019

(10-03-2019, 03:05 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: It looks like Grizzly and Wen now offer similar units. Not sure if a patent expired or they are licensed or what.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spindle+sander&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

My first thought would be to trust the Grizzly but I would probably have to read all the specs first.

Pedro

the grizzly and wen look like twins.  probably come off the same line, just different colors.