Woodnet Forums
This is two projects I have done this week - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: This is two projects I have done this week (/showthread.php?tid=7325988)

Pages: 1 2 3

This is two projects I have done this week - Arlin Eastman - 12-07-2016

If you guys have seen Johns Carbide tools he is selling in S&S here is two of his that I put handles on.

Both of the handles are out of Bacote and copied the shape of EWT handles which I like a lot.

[Image: 120616%20002_zps2jsity9i.jpg]

[Image: 120616%20001_zps92ldeete.jpg]

Also here is two vases make out of paper Birch and with some weeds I picked out of our field.  I have sold 10 of these for 24.95

[Image: 113016%20001_zpsulj02ofd.jpg]

That is all for now but when I get time to upload more pics into Photobucket I will show what has been done for the year.
I will also show what one of the guys made from some of the Maple that was donated to us.

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - DFJarvie - 12-07-2016

I like those vases Arlin. I may have to give those a try at some point.

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - jaustin - 12-07-2016

Arlin, Nice handles and vases that you made.

Need to see if i can find some Bacote and do some turning with it.

Did you hollow the vases completed out or just do a straight hollowing?

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - Grey Mountain - 12-08-2016

NIce work, Arlin.
I have done those "vases" a few hundred times. We call them "weed pots" because we, uh, put weeds in them. I use native weeds and grasses for mine.
I do a straight hollow on mine.

GM

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - Arlin Eastman - 12-08-2016

Thanks guys

The piece of Bacote was 28" long so I had two 14" handles

When I make all Weed pots (My wife does not like the name hence vase) I do it between centers and leave a small tennon on the bottom.
Then I mount it in a chuck jaws and make sure it is centered and drill the hole 1/3 the way down using a Jacobs chuck.  I then finish drilling to the depth and turn off the lathe keeping the bit in there.

I unlock the chuck jaws and move the tail stock back and the vase should still be on the drill bit.

I then put the Jacobs chuck into the headstock and bring up the tail stock with a live center to keep it center and take off the tennon.  When the tennon is off or almost off I back off the tailstock and finish cutting and sanding.

I then lock the headstock and spin the weed pot off.  Works slick as snot

Arlin

PS - I do the same with the tool handles also

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - hairy - 12-08-2016

Nice work! I like handles like that, I can always find the sweet spot. The weedpots are awesome.

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - Arlin Eastman - 12-08-2016

Thanks Hairy

Also the gift is Hmmmmm gone yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes
Laugh

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - JerrySats - 12-10-2016

Nice job on both the handles and vases .  Is the birch still green or are they dry .

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - fredhargis - 12-11-2016

I like both Arlin, nicely done.

RE: This is two projects I have done this week - Arlin Eastman - 12-11-2016

Jerry

They are dry.  I try to get my dad to cut up from 3" to 6" and the bigger allows wider lips on the top which is what the ladies want.  I know this since I sold all the wide lips and the others are still setting there.
Laugh