Woodnet Forums
Vase Made Of Pencils - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Vase Made Of Pencils (/showthread.php?tid=7326721)

Pages: 1 2

Vase Made Of Pencils - crokett™ - 01-05-2017

what do you guys think?  I have been toying with the idea of something similar, but made out of wood scraps and/or some aluminum drill chaff I have.

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - arthropod98 - 01-05-2017

i think it's pretty fun stuff to play around with.  
Yes 

i made a little tea light candle holder thingy with red and green colored pencils and red oak  --  sorta looks like a little carousel.  
Big Grin 

i also got some copper and aluminum craft sheets and used those for some inlays, and some aluminum foil . . . just fun stuff to play around with.

oh, and nothing fell apart!  
Big Grin

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - daddo - 01-05-2017

I was expecting a pic- instead, I was asked to think.   
Angry  
Laugh

Colored pencils may not glue together well unless you strip the glued sides.  They might lose the lead during turning. Very soft wood too.

I want to try wood and metal laminated together. Haven't figured out how to fasten them together yet.

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - DFJarvie - 01-05-2017

Look on Pinterest. I've seen this before and it may describe how to make it.

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - Arlin Eastman - 01-05-2017

Ever since I seen Tim Yoder do it last year I have been looking for some pencils that were cheap by the hundreds.  I did find an ebay one for 360 but do not remember the price something like $27.

I like the idea of adding the aluminum to it.  Do you have a picture of the sides?  How did you keep the lead in the pencils?

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - badwhiskey - 01-05-2017

I've done pencils and they're kind of a pain.  Get the flat sided ones, not the round ones.  I've thought about gluing up other stuffs but haven't gotten to it yet.

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 01-05-2017

Take a big pile of pencils and cast them in resin in a pressure pot. Works great. It hardens them pretty well, and everything holds together. It ends up polishing well, too.

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - Bob10 - 01-06-2017

I think Peter has done that I don't know how to search for it though

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - arthropod98 - 01-09-2017

[attachment=859]

kinda crappy pic, but here's some aluminum and shedua.  aluminum was scuffed-up, and used CA to glue everything up.  
Yes

RE: Vase Made Of Pencils - crokett™ - 01-09-2017

(01-05-2017, 09:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I like the idea of adding the aluminum to it.  Do you have a picture of the sides?  How did you keep the lead in the pencils?

I haven't done this yet. I'm not sure how he didnt blow out the lead, maybe sharp tools and light cuts.