Woodnet Forums
Portable workbench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Portable workbench (/showthread.php?tid=7326990)

Pages: 1 2

Portable workbench - mr_skittle - 01-15-2017

I teach some hand plane classes and have recently found the need to take my show on the road.  After much research and many questions I've gone and built a portable workbench.  Following a post on the Close Grain blog I built it out of some pine and maple that I had around. I've been playing around with it a bit since I finished it before Christmas and I'm pretty happy with the results. There are some big walnut hooks on the sides for edge planing, a few long planing stops, a doe's foot, and my very first holdfast. I had a face vice that I was considering putting on, but there just wasn't a good spot for it. I had the holdfast made by a local blacksmith. I brought the bench along to the local Forging Community's shop and watched as it was made and tried it out until we got it just right. I paid much more for it than the Gramercy ones that are so popular but the experience plus the product was worth it. Now I just need to use it and figure out it nuances.

[attachment=979]
[attachment=980]
[attachment=981]

RE: Portable workbench - mr_skittle - 01-15-2017

I hate to highjack my own thread right away but who knows why my pics are all upside down. I've tried rotating them in the folder on my computer but they post upside down no matter what.

RE: Portable workbench - Boatman53 - 01-15-2017

They are not upside down for me.
Jim

RE: Portable workbench - Derek Cohen - 01-16-2017

Are you in Australia?

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Portable workbench - wood2woodknot - 01-16-2017

Did they come from your cell phone? Some cell photos always seem to paste up out of reference - can't be rotated properly.

RE: Portable workbench - hbmcc - 01-16-2017

That's nasty Derek! But really, is he from Down Under? 
Big Grin

Actually, I don't mind standing on my head.
Crazy

That turned out nice!

RE: Portable workbench - mr_skittle - 01-16-2017

As long as they're right side up to everyone else thats what counts. If I want to see it right side up myself, I'll just go look at it in the shop.

RE: Portable workbench - Skip J. - 01-17-2017

(01-16-2017, 05:36 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: As long as they're right side up to everyone else thats what counts. If I want to see it right side up myself, I'll just go look at it in the shop.

They're still upside down here....

RE: Portable workbench - Boatman53 - 01-17-2017

Still not on topic but they are correct on my iPad.
Jim

RE: Portable workbench - Adnick - 01-17-2017

Fantastic looking little bench, my daughter-in-law is wanting a bench for her NY city apartment, as you can imagine, it's small.

What's the dimensions?

-- mos maiorum