Woodnet Forums
Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Carbon Monoxide Detectors (/showthread.php?tid=7327021)

Pages: 1 2 3

Carbon Monoxide Detectors - 10by14 - 01-17-2017

Recently we lost a neighbor due to carbon monoxide in his garage.  Does anyone know of a good detector for a shop?  On line research
has not satisfied me.

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Cooler - 01-17-2017

Was this from a car exhaust?  I read that modern cars don't put out enough carbon monoxide to do much more than give you a headache.  You need a much, much older car to do that damage.

According to Consumers Reports none of the carbon monoxide detectors do all things right.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/co-and-smoke-alarms.htm

You will have to buy at least 2 and use them in conjunction to cover all bases.

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Roly - 01-17-2017

A couple of years ago the fire dept recommended the Kiddie Nitehawk one like THIS.    This will let you know if any level of CO is present not just alarm at a dangerous level.   It will alarm at a dangerous level .    It also records the highest level.   These are widely available.   Roly

A while back I was running a generator in the attached garage with the big door open and a back door open and the door to the house closed and it started to register a few points . It was no where near a critical level but I wouldn't have thought it would show anything at all. I now place the unit by a door with a window fan by the exhaust blowing outside

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - 10by14 - 01-18-2017

Supposedly a generator had ran earlier in the day with the door open.  The facts remain obscure as he lived alone.

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - MikeBob - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 06:05 PM)10by14 Wrote: Supposedly a generator had ran earlier in the day with the door open.  The facts remain obscure as he lived alone.
Was the death by carbon monoxide confirmed by an autopsies?

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - daddo - 01-18-2017

Even long term exposure well below 35 ppm can cause heart problems in older folks. Every day exposure to even 1 ppm can cause problems.

The digital readout I think is the safest choice.

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - 10by14 - 01-19-2017

Yes Carbon monoxide has been confirmed

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - chips ahoy - 01-19-2017

I have a Kiddle plug in battery back up,combination carbon monoxide,propane detector as I had installed a propane range. So far,reading 0.

Mel

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Cooler - 01-19-2017

It should be noted that these devices have a limited usage life of about 6 years.  They should be replaced after 5 years.  Put a replace by date on the unit when you install it. (This according to my Internet research)

RE: Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Cooler - 01-19-2017

Kidde claims a 10 year lifespan:

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/help-center/browse-articles/articles/what_are_the_end_of_life_warnings_on_a_carbon_monoxide_alarm_.aspx