Woodnet Forums
High quality bench top drill presses - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: High quality bench top drill presses (/showthread.php?tid=7328917)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

High quality bench top drill presses - wrb - 03-22-2017

I currently have a 17" Jet floor standing drill press.  I had this for about 14 years and use it rarely. Not really high quality but it does what I need. I would like to gain some floor space by going with a bench top drill press that I can place on top of an existing cabinet.

In looking at current crop of bench top machines, I did not see one that appears to be high quality.  Started looking at older, US made machines, and found a very clean looking Powermatic 1100, but it is missing the nuts on the depth adjustment rod.  I am not sure if I can find those parts.  Do you know if those parts can easily be sourced? If so, from where / who?

There are some other Walker Turner and Rockwell machines listed in CL around me, but most of them need some refurbishing that I am not willing to commit at this point. I found one very clean looking Walker Turner variable speed version. Convenience of VS is definitely attractive. However, after learning VS versions have vibration at low speeds (need for forstner bits), I decided to not go for it.  How bad is the vibration at low speeds on these machines? Does it essentially eliminate comfortable usage with forstner bits? Am I overreacting, or are these really not the best option for woodworking?

I really like the new Nova Voyager, but it is also a floor standing machine.  Would have gone for the bench top version if it were available.

Are there some new and high quality bench top machines at sub $1k price point that you recommend or or should I keep looking for old machines?

As a reference point, most of my machines & power tools are Minimax, Agazzani, Festool, etc. So, I really appreciate quality and don't mind paying for it within reason.

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - gMike - 03-22-2017

Unless you are really craving a new DP, you might give some thought to just cutting down the column on you Jet and make it a bench top drill press.  Saves some money and you already know the machine so there would be no surprises.

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - wrb - 03-22-2017

This is a great option. I thought about this but the head of the machine is a little too big for the location I have in mind. May pursue this if I can't find something better.

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - daddo - 03-22-2017

I'm looking for another one of these mill/drill setups for bench top. I have it setup for light milling but want to do some drilling and hate to take the time to change it over. With no runout and more than enough power, it is worth it's weight (about 200 lbs).

[Image: DSCN0104_zpsxpoo9zmg.jpg]

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - ez-duzit - 03-22-2017

Yup, just cut down the column, if you must have a benchtop model. But I'd rather have the floor model.

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - Mr Eddie - 03-22-2017

Daddo,
I just saw a setup like you have over on the hobby-machinist site.  Was orange in it's former life - looks just like yours now!  Nice setup.

Lonnie

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - Guest - 03-22-2017

WRB, 

Replacement nuts for the depth stop bar are available from MSC Industrial Supply (and probably elsewhere) as "knurled check nuts." MSC has them in various sizes in black oxide steel and Stainless. 

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/74213224

I'm a fan of then old American made machines. In rehabbed a Walker Turner model 1200 bench top drill press that needed new check nuts for the depth stop. The ones I ordered from MSC looked like OEM parts and worked perfectly. 

Hank

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - Mr Eddie - 03-22-2017

I bought a Steel City bench top shortly before they closed their doors.  It's a VS with digital readout for rpm and depth stop.  You might be able to buy one at a discount from a dealer still holding.  Mine has run fine.  I don't know what the situation is for spare parts.  I think I paid around $350.  The model number is VS 20130.

Lonnie

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - museumguy - 03-22-2017

I bought a Grizzly benchtop radial arm drill press and very pleased with it. The only issue I had was that the chuck key didn't fit properly. I opted to buy a new chuck and all is well.

RE: High quality bench top drill presses - Lynden - 03-23-2017

(03-22-2017, 01:30 PM)gMike Wrote: Unless you are really craving a new DP, you might give some thought to just cutting down the column on you Jet and make it a bench top drill press.  Saves some money and you already know the machine so there would be no surprises.

(03-22-2017, 02:31 PM)wrb Wrote: This is a great option. I thought about this but the head of the machine is a little too big for the location I have in mind.  May pursue this if I can't find something better.

If the base of your DP is like the one shown below, would you be happy with the limited amount of table travel if you shorten the column?

https://bestdrillpressguide.com/images/31FT824E7QL.jpg