Woodnet Forums
bench wood species? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: bench wood species? (/showthread.php?tid=7329559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: bench wood species? - rwe2156 - 04-18-2017

One is SYP (section of bowling alley lane).  I used it because it was free.

The other is hard maple.  I used it because beech is extremely hard to get and very expensive around me.

Usability, I can't really tell the difference relative to wood.  The big diff in usability is the design (Scand w/shoulder vise vs. standard face vises).

Bottom line: I think the type of ww'ing which translates to hardware + holding methods is way more important than material.

RE: bench wood species? - Bill Holt - 04-18-2017

Old and "used" SYP, it was free and there was a lot of it.  I was new to woodworking and several guys from here suggested SYP for your first bench.  With "beginner's luck" the workbench turned out so well I'm not interested in building another.

RE: bench wood species? - tim_leo - 04-18-2017

I used pine 2 X 4's to make the top and legs. My bench looks like there have been many battles won and lost on it's surface. I figured it's a tool that's meant to take some abuse so the dents and dings and paint spills and stains don't bother me one littlest bit.

The price was right and it serves my needs well.

RE: bench wood species? - Alan S - 04-18-2017

Mine is soft maple.  I had been selecting the straightest grain from among the douglas fir 4x4s to build a bench, when I happened upon 250bft of maple for less than the fir.

RE: bench wood species? - hbmcc - 04-18-2017

Second Use (Seattle) 5" fir? (HF/DF) glulams and 4x_ DF legs and stretchers. $40 to $50 for the wood. Trinkets may be exotic but I am committed to Western US wood species for construction projects. My working furniture should be no different.

RE: bench wood species? - Bibliophile 13 - 04-18-2017

SYP. It's cheap, relatively easy to work, and takes a beating. As it ages, it gets harder. I selected some pieces with some really tight knots, and they're especially good for pounding on.

RE: bench wood species? - ez-duzit - 04-18-2017

My small bench I bought from Garrett Wade for ~$350. Made of Bubinga.

[Image: shop-7_zpsugsm9fca.jpg]

RE: bench wood species? - Large Wooden Badger - 04-18-2017

Maple and walnut

RE: bench wood species? - bandit571 - 04-18-2017

Just pine....mainly from dumpster diving.   Mainly because I don't have to worry about marring "good wood" if and when I miss........I can save any and all of the good stuff for projects, rather than have a boatload of good wood sitting around as a workbench.   Seems to do a decent enough job....

RE: bench wood species? - Bill_Houghton - 04-20-2017

Solid core door - it's a mixture of hardwood, softwood, and masonite.