Woodnet Forums
Irwin adj bit part - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Irwin adj bit part (/showthread.php?tid=7329902)

Pages: 1 2

Irwin adj bit part - RB61 - 04-30-2017

This vintage bit came in a group tool buy. It needs an adjustment screw/bolt. The slot has been severely abused. Any ideas as to where I can obtain one?

Thanks

RE: Irwin adj bit part - Bill_Houghton - 04-30-2017

What's the diameter of the bolt, and what's the pitch?  The head looks like a standard oval head pattern.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - bandit571 - 04-30-2017

Take the bolt to the nearest hardware store/BORG.   Find a match for the heads size and shape......do not worry about the length, you can trim that.    Maybe check out the Stainless Steel selection.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - blackhat - 04-30-2017

I believe I have that bit in the shop. Let me check it for size. A standard hex head bolt could be modified. Use a hacksaw to cut a slot from one corner across. Put the threaded end in the drill press chuck and spin it on the lowest speed while using a file to shape the head. Don't hold the file still against the turning bolt. You need to make strokes with the file as if the workpiece was still.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - bandit571 - 04-30-2017

I just looked....there is a package on my desk.  10-24 x 3" slotted oval.    Even has 4 bolts, with the 4 matching nuts.   The shape of the head matches what you be looking for.

Stainless Machine Screws, with nuts. 

I suppose you could cut them to the length needed?

I have an Irwin No.1 expansive bit...just checked the bolts to it...perfect match....

RE: Irwin adj bit part - blackhat - 04-30-2017

I have 2 Irwin no. 2 expansive bits. The shank is clearly marked as such. Both take a 1/4" x 28 bolt. That's standard UNF so any decent hardware store should be able to hook you up.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - JimReed@Tallahassee - 05-01-2017

Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - 6270_Productions - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 06:39 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.

I know this is the "Hand Tools" forum, but you have to understand I don't use many things that don't have electrical cords on them.

That being said.  I do carry a brace and this bit in my "job site bag".  I have found over the years this is - in my opinion - the only two tools you need to install door knobs (well, those two and a sharp chisel and a six-in-one screwdriver). 

One bit, multiple sizes of holes depending on the lockset and no cords to string across the room.  I generally let the home owner pick up the chips.

I start the hole from both sides and finish in the middle.  The spur cutter does a beautiful job on the rather thin veneers you tend to find on the face of today's newly manufactured doors.  You can clean out the . . . ummmm . . . solid core "stuff" with a number two pencil - or just about anything else.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - Admiral - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 06:39 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.

I've used them almost universally successfully from time to time for holes larger than the #18 bit that I have, must keep them sharp.

RE: Irwin adj bit part - RB61 - 05-01-2017

This bit works wonderfully. It appears as if it had recently been sharpened.