Woodnet Forums
What to use for Thermostat wire? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What to use for Thermostat wire? (/showthread.php?tid=7330117)

Pages: 1 2

What to use for Thermostat wire? - fredhargis - 05-10-2017

I just remembered I need to run a wire to connect a future thermostat (not yet purchased) to a future furnace (ceiling hung Modine type, also not yet purchased) in my shop before any drywall work. This is a common heat on/off, low voltage, temperature control thermostat. I've installed 2 in the way past, but cannot remember what wire I ran. I know it's very thin (22 gauge?) but can't remember how many conductors are needed.  But I know most of you out there know, maybe you can remind me.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - tomsteve - 05-10-2017

a roll of 18/5 should give ya enough conductors

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - Mr_Mike - 05-10-2017

More conductors than you think or in the next replacement, you'll be running new.

Go on-line and get the install instructions and use that many wires, at least.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - daddo - 05-10-2017

You shouldn't need more than three wires for heating only. I only buy 3 and 6 wire but use the 6 in places where you may never be able to replace it just in case a wire gets chewed on by a rodent or for some reason opens.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - blackhat - 05-10-2017

You need 2. R and W. 22 ga would but 18 is better. Running a 3 or 4 conductor just in case of a nail strike wouldn't hurt.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - fredhargis - 05-10-2017

Thanks all, I'll pick up some 18 gauge 4 conductor.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - Roly - 05-10-2017

Something else to think about is possibility using two thermostats for heating.    A low temp thermostat to keep from freezing and a timer on the high temp thermostat for when occupied.  We used this system for normally unoccupied control buildings.     Roly ( uses the same wire )

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - blackhat - 05-10-2017

I'm going to set up something similar with a motion sensor on the high temp stat. I need to get a time delay so it doesn't start when I walk through to drop trash in the can.

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - Roly - 05-10-2017

Something like THIS for a time delay.    Still need the motion detector part.  This will reset when it looses voltage.    Roly

RE: What to use for Thermostat wire? - efmrrt - 05-13-2017

Best thing is to look and see how many wires you have now. If your upgrading, how many wires will you need?  If you have an older Honeywell Merc Switch with older heater 2 wires. On some of the newer units if its heat and AC 4-5 wires may be enough. Go to the BORG and get thermostat wire with the number of wires needed 18 gauge/ # of wires inside, from 2-8.  Make sure you get more wire than you think you need. It sucks coming up short.