Woodnet Forums
Oh the Inhumanity! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Oh the Inhumanity! (/showthread.php?tid=7330165)

Oh the Inhumanity! - PedroOhare - 05-12-2017

https://madison.craigslist.org/gms/6122554719.html

Pedro

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - C. in Indy - 05-12-2017

If that wasn't bad enough, someone in my area is laser-cutting patterns and letters into vintage saws.

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - hbmcc - 05-12-2017

I picked up a No12 for $2. Light style. Nice tapered blade perfect for a scene of my dream home in Wisconsin, or Michigan, based on the stuff shown.  
Crazy

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - Bill_Houghton - 05-12-2017

(05-12-2017, 09:26 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: If that wasn't bad enough, someone in my area is laser-cutting patterns and letters into vintage saws.

Oh, now that's beyond bad!  At least paint can be removed, and those painted saws were probably cleaned up before painting.

Mini-gloat: picked up a 10" Warren and Ted Superior backsaw today, $1; no extra charge for the rust.

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - Bibliophile 13 - 05-12-2017

In principle, it is indeed a shame. In practice, well, there are maybe two or three saws in that collection that might have been worth restoring.

For example, on those long crosscuts, it looks like that middle one had lots of life left in the teeth. The one on top, well, there's little else you could have done with it. The teeth are filed well down, and the handle is busted. What else could you have done with these aside from cutting them up for card scrapers?

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - daddo - 05-12-2017

Nice paintwork though.

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - hbmcc - 05-12-2017

Somehow, card scrapers sound better than Thomas Kincaid on crack. Besides, you never see the scraper stock until Fine Woodworking has a Garrett Hack article about scratch stock. Occasionally, a fine old woodworking bench is too far gone for the shop, but just fine for Mom's mashed potatoes. 

I saw another saw today at Goodwill on its way to a forest scene (solid green) but there were a lot of super deep rust pits in the metal. Some people like a raving Kincaid swinging saws in B-rated C-rateD- rated  a Primitive style landscape.

RE: Oh the Inhumanity! - Tony Z - 05-14-2017

Still kicking myself on passing on some of this "art" last year. Also a #12, full plate and nib, with the handle intact and handle finish in good, original shape. Price was $15, dirt cheap for a #12 in that shape.

But the painting! Plus my wife and one of our daughters was with me! I could just imagine the next decade getting painted saws for every birthday, Christmas and Fathers Day!