Woodnet Forums
Martin Guitars Custom Shop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Martin Guitars Custom Shop (/showthread.php?tid=7330199)

Pages: 1 2

Martin Guitars Custom Shop - AHill - 05-13-2017

This is Part 3 in a series, but I thought this one showed a fair amount of the woodworking involved in making guitars.  The big guys still have some pretty skilled craftsmen.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - Admiral - 05-13-2017

I took the factory tour a while back. I lingered watching the custom guys work.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - barryvabeach - 05-13-2017

Nice post,  I really enjoyed the video.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - Mr Eddie - 05-13-2017

Thanks for posting - fun video to watch.  I noticed when they were looking at the glue pot how dark the hide glue was.  I wonder what type and weight of glue they use?  The hide glue I use is never that dark.

Lonnie

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - DaveParkis - 05-13-2017

There's an episode of "A Craftsman Legacy" that is about a guy that runs a school and builds guitars, and watching him use a 151, card scraper and shinto rasp put a big grin on my face.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - Hank Knight - 05-14-2017

They do incredible work. I ordered a custom Martin for a "retirement gift" to myself 4 years ago. It took a year, but it was well worth the wait. It is the most beautifully made guitar I've ever seen.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - AHill - 05-14-2017

In Part 2 this lady is using what looks like a Narex chisel to scallop the bracing.  She is very fast and that chisel is very sharp.  It's very impressive.

This week, a Martin D-28 Marquis will show up at my home.  It's not a custom shop guitar, but it's also not one of their "standard" models.  I'm trying to be patient!

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - BrokenOlMarine - 05-18-2017

I love to watch gifted craftsman work with their tools.

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - hbmcc - 05-18-2017

OK, Allan .... Where is that guitar?
Smirk

RE: Martin Guitars Custom Shop - AHill - 05-19-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:57 PM)hbmcc Wrote: OK, Allan .... Where is that guitar?
Smirk

Martin D-28 Marquis.  Sounds like a dream.  A musician friend who owns around 18 guitars played it and said it was the best sounding Martin he'd ever played.  Sounds great strummed, flat-picked, or fingerstyle.  For those musically inclined, the Marquis is no longer being made.  They ended production last year.  It has an adirondack spruce top, east Indian rosewood sides and back, forward shifted bracing, and bone nut and saddle.  The workmanship is flawless.  The Marquis was not a "standard" model, but a limited run of the D-28 constructed closely to the 1930's models, with EIR vs. the Brazilian rosewood used then.  Brazilian rosewood has been on CITES for quite some time.  The current source of adirondack spruce is from trees planted 50 years ago to replenish the species, which was over-harvested.

[Image: IMG_2672_zpsxvgrujvn.jpg]
[Image: M2062613-backbody-large_zpsyvluy06l.jpg]