Woodnet Forums
drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T (/showthread.php?tid=7330295)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - EricU - 05-18-2017

I have never used a drywall lift for ceiling work.  Watched some videos, and it looks almost as annoying as just using a 'T', which is what I've always done.  You still have to lift the drywall up onto the lift, which is fairly far off the ground.  I have about 10 panels to put up on a 7' 10" basement ceiling.  Thinking about just staying with the old ways.  Anyone done both?

Rental is $26 a day, so maybe I'll try it and see.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - atgcpaul - 05-18-2017

Definitely no drywall expert but I used a lift with my Dad to drywall my shop's 10' ceiling as well as a finished attic with my Dad several years ago using people power. The lift was so much easier. The lift tilts so you're not actually lifting the sheet up over your head to get it on the lift. For the attic, we were holding the sheets up using hands and heads (sloped ceiling) while someone got a few screws in. It was not fun.

My rental was more than $26/day but even at twice the price, worth it.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - Bill Wilson - 05-18-2017

I've used both.  The T brace works best if you have a couple helpers.  With the lift, 2 guys can do it.  Heck, I never tried it, but I suppose you could do it by yourself.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - TDKPE - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 07:24 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've used both.  The T brace works best if you have a couple helpers.  With the lift, 2 guys can do it.  Heck, I never tried it, but I suppose you could do it by yourself.

I used a lift for my basement office, by myself.  A tee wasn't really an option, especially with my ground glass lubricated shoulders (or so they've felt for decades).  Worth the price, whatever it was.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - fredhargis - 05-18-2017

I am anything but an drywall expert, but both times I've put up ceilings I rented a lift. True, they are a little unhandy, but still beats any alternative IMHO. I was always working alone when I did this, and it might be different with some help.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - crokett™ - 05-18-2017

I've not used a lift. I have used a T, and I've used a cleat on the wall - put one edge of the drywall into the cleat and then push up on the other end +a T to hold it in place. The last job I did last year was 11 sheets on the ceiling, and my helper and I agreed I should have rented a lift.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - CLETUS - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 07:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I am anything but an drywall expert, but both times I've put up ceilings I rented a lift. True, they are a little unhandy, but still beats any alternative IMHO. I was always working alone when I did this, and it might be different with some help.

Used a lift putting 1/2" OSB on my brothers shop ceiling (24'x32') . The best part is that you can still lift your arms at the end of the day.

I don't know that I'd get one for 10 sheets, especially if you had a couple helpers. If you're doing it by yourself, yeah I'd get the lift.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - Mr_Mike - 05-18-2017

You can use a lift by yourself for 8' sheets. Not fun, but you can do it.

If you have three guys, you can probably put up the ceiling without faster than assembling/disassembling the lift.

On HfH houses, we don't bother except for vaulted ceilings. We have so many folks on site, we just lift and screw. Rooms are small too. 2 or three full sheets, 2 or three halfsheets, done. Takes longer to measure and cut than hang.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - aquaticjim - 05-18-2017

T poles, or deadman poles, and a lift are two different tools.  The T's hold the drywall sheet to the ceiling and the lift, as the name says, will lift the sheets.  I used a drywall lift to drywall my complete 2200 SF house by myself.  All of the rooms had 9' ceilings except the greatroom which had a 19' high flat ceiling.  I used 54" wide, 16 foot long sheets on the walls and 48" or 54" wide, 16 foot long sheets on the ceiling.  All of the drywall was 5/8".  To me, the 5/8" thickness is heavier but a lot easier to work with.  The 54" x 16' sheets weighed 165 pounds each.  I was able to load them in the lift and place them where necessary.   I could not imagine trying that alone with just T poles.

RE: drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T - jamesglenn - 05-18-2017

I own a lift that I used to do 11' ceilings in my garage. Worth every penny, and I was able to do it by myself. It took two sheets to get the hang of it, but after that it went fairly quickly. I then used it to hang the higher sheets on the wall as well. I would recommend it if you are only one person trying to hang the boards.