Woodnet Forums
Small Atkins Backsaw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small Atkins Backsaw (/showthread.php?tid=7330743)

Pages: 1 2

Small Atkins Backsaw - pgriff - 06-06-2017

At a flea market this weekend, I picked up an 8" long Atkins backsaw for $10. It appears to be filed as a 14 point crosscut saw. Is this an unusual size saw? I took some pictures, but currently have no way to post them on line. So far all I did was clean the grease and dirt off the handle. I want to make sure this is something I can clean up without destroying it's value. Thanks.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - Bill_Houghton - 06-06-2017

They're not common, but I wouldn't consider them unusual, in the sense of "collectible."  Atkins saws aren't as well known as Disston, but they're respected.

Later edit: I should clarify that I was speaking generally, not specifically about Atkins saws; I'm not familiar with their product line.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - pgriff - 06-06-2017

Thanks. When I did a search, I found 10" and 12" saws but no reference to an 8" saw.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - C. in Indy - 06-06-2017

Is that a gents' saw style or the usual pistol-grip backsaw you found?

Chris

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - Admiral - 06-06-2017

Atkins is a worthy saw.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - Timberwolf - 06-07-2017

(06-06-2017, 06:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: Atkins is a worthy saw.
Yep...and the 8" size is pretty "uncommon" by any maker.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - pgriff - 06-07-2017

It is not a gents saw. It has a full handle similar to other Atkins hand saws but on a smaller scale. It is not a pistol grip.

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - bandit571 - 06-07-2017

Millers Falls made a small mitre box that would use that type of saw...The #16-1/2?    There was also the #15......Atkins may have made that saw for them...

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - tshiker - 06-08-2017

Sorry, no pic's, didn't happen!

RE: Small Atkins Backsaw - pgriff - 06-08-2017

I took pictures of the saw but currently have no way to post them. I will forward a copy of the pictures to anyone who can post them here for me. Thanks.