Woodnet Forums
Help replicating a finish look - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help replicating a finish look (/showthread.php?tid=7330887)

Help replicating a finish look - frankspence - 06-12-2017

Been a long time since I posted on here. I am trying to replicate the small piece of trim shown here.. It's rather unique so I am doing the profile with Dremel tools. (Any better suggestions gratefully accepted).

To replicate the finish/look of it I could use some suggestions. I believe it is cherry? And old judging from very tight growth rings. So I have figured on doing a cherry base on it and then some kind of dark glaze to simulate what I think is  wax/dirt/etc accumulated over the years and then rubbing off high spots?

Any suggestions/comments?

TIA!

RE: Help replicating a finish look - Cooler - 06-12-2017

Trial and error.  

Find a species with a similar grain structure.

Apply a variety of stains until you achieve the color you want.

Apply a variety of finishes until you achieve the finish you want.  

Time consuming, but not difficult.

RE: Help replicating a finish look - BrokenOlMarine - 06-12-2017

That looks charred to me... but the pic is hard to see. Is that possible?
We have a 1930s chest that a friend gave us along with several other pieces that (sorta) survived a fire. They were at the edge of the burned area, and dresser edges and trim details looked like that. I cleaned up the burned areas, and repaired them where I could. There are still burns in some areas.

RE: Help replicating a finish look - frankspence - 06-12-2017

Wow....the charred idea never occurred to me. I don't think so but I'll take a closer look and ask the owner. I just thought it was built up wax etc over time.

RE: Help replicating a finish look - gMike - 06-12-2017

You might try and clean off the sample with denatured alcohol.  If it was finished with shellac and just grime it might wipe off.

RE: Help replicating a finish look - Paul K. Murphy - 06-13-2017

That unique piece of trim is gadrooned. An example of gadrooning.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base_images/zp/duplicating_a_gadroon_molding_2.jpg