Woodnet Forums
bed extension compatibility - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: bed extension compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=7331773)

bed extension compatibility - Rob Young - 07-17-2017

I have an older Turncrafter Pro and recently was offered for free a bed extension for what I believe to be the same size lathe but with the a Jet badge.

It's my understanding that many of these smaller 10" and 12" lathes are re-badges of a design from some factory in Taiwan / China.

What is the likelyhood of the bed extensions being compatible?

I don't have the EXACT part number of either my lathe at hand and I'm waiting to hear the part number from the extension.  I've made a note to update post when I get home and can add the lathe part number.

RE: bed extension compatibility - Arlin Eastman - 07-17-2017

Rob

I would not think so.  A lot of them make them different to keep the customer coming back.  You can get the bolt pattern off of yours from a piece of paper to see if it matches tho

RE: bed extension compatibility - Herb G - 07-17-2017

Simple. If you have access, make a paper pattern of the bolt holes.
If they line up, you're golden.

RE: bed extension compatibility - clovishound - 07-17-2017

Well, actually the bolt holes could line up, but if the the ways are a different thickness, or distance from the bolt holes, then things won't fit.

RE: bed extension compatibility - iclark - 07-19-2017

(07-17-2017, 02:41 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I have an older Turncrafter Pro and recently was offered for free a bed extension for what I believe to be the same size lathe but with the a Jet badge.

It is being offered to you free. Take it.

If it does not fit your Turncrafter, then it will fit the Jet that you get or the Jet of someone else here.

RE: bed extension compatibility - Rob Young - 07-19-2017

(07-19-2017, 08:58 AM)iclark Wrote: It is being offered to you free. Take it.

If it does not fit your Turncrafter, then it will fit the Jet that you get or the Jet of someone else here.

That's the logic I'm applying.  But since it will be a few weeks (owner currently on vacation) before I can lay hands on it, I was thinking about the need to modify my lathe stand and getting a head start.

RE: bed extension compatibility - crokett™ - 07-20-2017

Every time I've tried to modify something in advance of receiving whatever Im making modifications for I have to redo some or all of my modifications. I'd wait, but you may be a better engineer than I am.

RE: bed extension compatibility - Rodneywt1180b - 07-20-2017

(07-20-2017, 03:31 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Every time I've tried to modify something in advance of receiving whatever Im making modifications for I have to redo some or all of my modifications.  I'd wait, but you may be a better engineer than I am.

I'd wait too.  I understand wanting to get started but have it in hand first otherwise you'll likely end up making more work for yourself.
Rodney

RE: bed extension compatibility - Rob Young - 07-21-2017

(07-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: I'd wait too.  I understand wanting to get started but have it in hand first otherwise you'll likely end up making more work for yourself.
Rodney

I think you misunderstood the post. The stand (more of a rolling cart) needs to be modified to handle a longer bed lathe regardless of the lathe model or lengthening method.

That can be done without knowing about bed extension compatibility.  Lengths of modified mini lathes is easily found in manufacturers data and so new size for stand top is easily determined.

RE: bed extension compatibility - Rodneywt1180b - 07-22-2017

You're right.  I thought it was about the extension, not the base it's sitting on.
Rodney