Woodnet Forums
Any interest in camphor wood? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Any interest in camphor wood? (/showthread.php?tid=7331889)

Pages: 1 2

Any interest in camphor wood? - Dave Diaman - 07-21-2017

Hey guys, I have a bunch of camphor wood left over from a silver chest I built some time ago. The wood actually keeps silver from tarnishing. It is also fantastic for keeping tools from rusting. A little in tool cabinet works wonders. The wood smells just like Vic's salve when you mill it and it has a very strong smell. One swipe with a hand plane and your nose will be clear. The thing is it isn't really available in the US. I had to order it from China. The boards were all cut small to ship in large boxes. They are probably 4"x24"X1". I Figure I could ship it full size or cut it up for flat rate boxes if there is any interest. If there is interest I will have to work out pricing since I can't find anyone who sells dimensional camphor in the US.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Steve N - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 08:00 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: They are probably 4"x24"X1".

Dave USPS has this flat rate box It looks like you could go almost full length. I would be interested in a box full, let me know what you need for price, and how best to get it to you.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Dave Diaman - 07-21-2017

Yes, I know. It's called a game board box. They are stinking hard to find though. I may just have to try ordering them directly from USPS.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Steve N - 07-21-2017

FWIW I am not in a hurry, not sure about others. My Dad had made a Camphor box for my Mom, and it's been a bucket list item for me. I used to do a lot more shipping about, and back when it was just 5 days from ordering, to the mail guy dropping them off. That is why I posted the order page
Big Grin All you have to do is quick math to see how many you need for the wood you have on hand.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - iclark - 07-22-2017

(07-21-2017, 08:00 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hey guys, I have a bunch of camphor wood left over from a silver chest I built some time ago. The wood actually keeps silver from tarnishing. It also keeps moths away. The wood smells just like Vic's salve when you mill it and it has a very strong smell. One swipe with a hand plane and your nose will be clear. The thing is it isn't really available in the US. I had to order it from China. The boards were all cut small to ship in large boxes. They are probably 4"x24"X1". I Figure I could ship it full size or cut it up for flat rate boxes if there is any interest. If there is interest I will have to work out pricing since I can't find anyone who sells dimensional camphor in the US.

WoodFinder gave me 6 sources for camphor with 1 in ON and 3 in CA. Exotic Lumber Inc in Frederick MD shows rough camphor at $6.95 for 4/4 and $7.95 for 6/4 and 8/4. I have no experience with any of the places that WoodFinder showed me. Just passing the info along for good or bad. Sorry, but I/m too tired tonight to search through all 6 to see if any of them post shop fees or sell camphor dimensioned rather than rough.

As an aside, I got some green 3x3 spindles a while back and was surprised to find out that camphor can spalt.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Dave Diaman - 07-22-2017

Iclark, I have found that quite a few places list it on their price list but none I contacted actually have it. That was the case 4 years ago anyway. Exotic lumber was actually one of the places I tried. They also have fiddleback genuine mahogany listed. I know they haven't had that in at least the last 10 years. I'll bet I called 20 different retailers when I wanted it and aside from some small slabs on eBay I couldn't find anything. At any rate if there is enough interest in it I'll pack some flat rate boxes and if everyone can buy it local now I will just hold onto it to keep the moths away. The stuff also works great as a rust inhibitor for tools.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Lynden - 07-22-2017

One of my antique chests is a camphor chest. It's almost identical to this one.

https://www.thakehamfurniture.co.uk/productimages/camphor-chest-30-1.jpg

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Dusty66 - 07-22-2017

I would be interested in a half box.

Thanks for looking into it.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Gary G™ - 07-22-2017

Florida camphor can get quite large.
Turners often get lucky after the big storms.
Camphor is available in Florida from the small mills on occasion.
I got a 5 flitch set, each fat 4/4 X 16" X roughly 5' some time ago.
I have a couple left.
I've made several table tops with it.
Soft but worth it.

RE: Any interest in camphor wood? - Arlin Eastman - 07-22-2017

I made a 4x4 turned box from some figured camphor wood and my wife loves it.  Yes it is the same stuff that vicks is made out of and it is a pretty wood and takes a shine very nicely.