Woodnet Forums
How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. (/showthread.php?tid=7331893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - AHill - 08-09-2017

Most of the patents related to SawStop technology are dated 2007 to as recently as 2012.  If he successfully licenses the technology, he'll be getting royalties for quite some time.

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - Admiral - 08-09-2017

Ah, er, well Festool will be getting the royalties presuming they bought the patents, which in that kind of deal, they ALWAYS buy the patents.

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - Alan in little Washington - 09-05-2017

(08-09-2017, 10:13 AM)AHill Wrote: Most of the patents related to SawStop technology are dated 2007 to as recently as 2012.  If he successfully licenses the technology, he'll be getting royalties for quite some time.

Could be longer than many assume.  Licensing and patents are not always connected.  In intellectual property licensing, everything is negotiable.  You can assign the patent to the licensee, but that doesn't mean you stop getting royalties, likewise, royalties may outlast a patent. It is all in how the licensing agreement is written.

A good (and easy) read is the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)"Exchanging Value, Negotiating Technology Licensing Agreements." training manual.

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - AZ Engineer - 09-08-2017

This sawstop bashing is really amusing.  After what, 18 years and people still bash.  As an engineer and holder of patents I understand the value of IP and support inventor's' ability to collect royalties.  If you want to be pissed, direct it at our ever encroaching nanny state.   After 18 years this incessant whining is humorous.

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - Handplanesandmore - 09-08-2017

(09-08-2017, 10:44 AM)AZ Engineer Wrote: This sawstop bashing is really amusing.  After what, 18 years and people still bash. 

That would mean only one thing: the SawStop inventor has really been doing something RIGHT. In another forum, I saw someone share his recent tablesaw accident after over 20 years of using saws. His first TS accident. By any stretch of definition, he can't be considered a newbie. Accidents are accidents and they can happen to anyone.

Simon

RE: How much could SawStop get in royalty payments? The answer here. - Johnbro - 09-15-2017

(09-08-2017, 11:42 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That would mean only one thing: the SawStop inventor has really been doing something RIGHT. In another forum, I saw someone share his recent tablesaw accident after over 20 years of using saws. His first TS accident. By any stretch of definition, he can't be considered a newbie. Accidents are accidents and they can happen to anyone.

Simon

Which is why they're called accidents and not surgery. 

As a happy SS PCS owner, I can't tell you how much more enjoyable using my TS is knowing that I can't cut my fingers off. To each his own.