Woodnet Forums
Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. (/showthread.php?tid=7332514)

Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Splinterz25 - 08-15-2017

Here are a few pieces I turned in Teak; be prepared to sharpen you tools if you work w/ teak. I came across some nice pieces of this and still have more, one is a very large flat piece I want to make a platter with.

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - gear jammer - 08-15-2017

Never have had teak. Is it that hard a wood that it knocks the edges off the tools.

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Splinterz25 - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 01:12 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Never have had teak. Is it that hard a wood that it knocks the edges off the tools.
From what I've been told there's a good bit of silica in Teak, so it dulls your planer-joiner -saw blades and lathe tools, on the other hand it sands very nice there's a good bit of oil in the wood.
When cutting w/ the lathe tool there is a different feel from other woods.

Bruce

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Arlin Eastman - 08-15-2017

I have never seen Teak let alone use it.  I really love the colors in it a lot and the shapes you made are nice to.

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - MichaelMouse - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: From what I've been told there's a good bit of silica in Teak, so it dulls your planer-joiner -saw blades and lathe tools, on the other hand it sands very nice there's a good bit of oil in the wood.
When cutting w/ the lathe tool there is a different feel from other woods.

Bruce

That be the truth, about silica.  Like turning dirty wood, it dulls your edge even when using the cut rather than scrape orientation.   

Nice turnings, BTW.

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Dennis Puskar - 08-15-2017

Very nice turnings.

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Splinterz25 - 08-15-2017

Thank you Arlin, Michael and Dennis.

Bruce

RE: Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did. - Timberwolf - 08-20-2017

(08-15-2017, 02:23 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: That be the truth, about silica.  Like turning dirty wood, it dulls your edge even when using the cut rather than scrape orientation.   

Nice turnings, BTW.
Yes...but IMO, it is a pure joy to work...