Woodnet Forums
My first vase - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My first vase (/showthread.php?tid=7332905)

My first vase - Splinterz25 - 08-31-2017

My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

RE: My first vase - Arlin Eastman - 08-31-2017

(08-31-2017, 01:19 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

You my friend use some fantastic woods to turn with. 
Yes    Nice shape of the vase also

RE: My first vase - SteveS - 08-31-2017

(08-31-2017, 01:19 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

finding a chunk that thick of sapele must have taken some looking.

technically it isn't sapele mahogany since those are two distinct species.

I have a few 5/4 boards of the stuff but have heretofore only used it in box making. great looking stuff.

RE: My first vase - Splinterz25 - 08-31-2017

Thank you Arlin and Steve this vase was made from 4 pieces glued together 2 of the seams are hidden in the Vee groves the other is there you have to look very close to see it though. Steve you are correct sir; Wiki says : The commercially important wood is reminiscent of mahogany, a member of the same family, with a distinctive figure, typically applied where figure is important. It has a density of 640 kg/m3. Demand for sapele, often marketed as "African mahogany," has increased sharply as a mahogany substitute in recent years due to genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) becoming a CITES Appendix II listed species.

Bruce

RE: My first vase - MidwestMan - 09-13-2017

That looks great ! Did you hollow it out, all the way to the base?

I have a hard time hollowing out a 5 inch deep bowl. I have plenty to learn.

RE: My first vase - Splinterz25 - 09-13-2017

(09-13-2017, 02:14 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: That looks great !  Did you hollow it out, all the way to the base?

I have a hard time hollowing out a 5 inch deep bowl. I have plenty to learn.

Midwest Man yes it's hollow all the way to the bottom, all though this being my first vase it's not as thin as I would have liked it to be about 5/16" to 3/8". When making these sort of turnings you can do them in sections, rings glued together hollowing as you go. Or you can use a hollowing tool and do the whole thing at once but this takes practice. Don't be afraid to try different ways of making things, I always use the KISS method (Keep It simple Stupid) when I do this I have greater results. I hope to see some of your projects posted here in the future.Here's a few shots of me making another vase to give you an idea how to go about this process.

Bruce