Woodnet Forums
Recent finds and a "whatsit" - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Recent finds and a "whatsit" (/showthread.php?tid=7332974)

Recent finds and a "whatsit" - DaveParkis - 09-03-2017

I finally caved and went hunting this weekend. Things weren't too bad and I came home with some goodies. Thought I'd share and see if someone could tell me what one of the tools is. Let's start with that one. Here's a pic.
[Image: LMB7GQIm.jpg]
[Image: wx1h99im.jpg?1]
It looks to me to be some sort of sharpener. The rod has no grit. Any ideas? Next are the "prizes"
[Image: yHfAhfMm.jpg]
This is a VERY nice set of James Swan auger bits. Even the box is in great shape.
[Image: I4iXhaim.jpg]
Very nice set of greenlee turnscrews
Cool 
[Image: jreVHEzm.jpg][Image: ArVHQAQm.jpg]
Minty set of Irwin auger bits
[Image: oDeDt6qm.jpg]
Very nice K3 base set
[Image: dVkdunMm.jpg]
NOS 42 saw set and 220 block plane. There were some other items, but they were all pretty mundane. Thanks.

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - Boatman53 - 09-04-2017

(09-03-2017, 10:02 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I finally caved and went hunting this weekend. Things weren't too bad and I came home with some goodies. Thought I'd share and see if someone could tell me what one of the tools is. Let's start with that one. Here's a pic.
[Image: LMB7GQIm.jpg]
[Image: wx1h99im.jpg?1]
It looks to me to be some sort of sharpener. The rod has no grit. Any ideas? Next are the "prizes"
[Image: yHfAhfMm.jpg]
This is a VERY nice set of James Swan auger bits. Even the box is in great shape.
[Image: I4iXhaim.jpg]
Very nice set of greenlee turnscrews
Cool 
[Image: jreVHEzm.jpg][Image: ArVHQAQm.jpg]
Minty set of Irwin auger bits
[Image: oDeDt6qm.jpg]
Very nice K3 base set
[Image: dVkdunMm.jpg]
NOS 42 saw set and 220 block plane. There were some other items, but they were all pretty mundane. Thanks.

I think the what's it is a bobbin or spool winder.
Jim

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - iclark - 09-05-2017

(09-04-2017, 04:37 PM)Boatman53 Wrote: I think the what's it is a bobbin or spool winder.
Jim

Google image search did not find anything. I wondered about those possibilities.

My other thought was the rotating part of an apple peeler.

That is a really strange looking gear setup.

Dave: does turning the crank really spin the rod? Is the rod tapered?

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - Boatman53 - 09-05-2017

Head back to Google and search 'vintage bobbin winder' and you will find several examples.
Jim

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - DaveParkis - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 08:37 AM)Boatman53 Wrote: Head back to Google and search 'vintage bobbin winder' and you will find several examples.
Jim

Thanks guys. Ivan, the rod is tapered. The only markings I can find are the "GAJ" on the wheel and "SWEDEN" stamped into the perimeter of the wheel.

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - hbmcc - 09-05-2017

With no cheat, no looky: it's a dental drill.

Ahhh..... .... 

Big Grin

RE: Recent finds and a "whatsit" - Bob10 - 09-08-2017

Funny I went on a hunt this morning came home with some nice stuff too.  I got one of these after already going through place once and loading up my finds.  I haven't seen one shown here but then I haven't looked until today.  This isn't the one I found but pretty much the same condition and probably just as tricky to pick up without shedding blood

[Image: %24_57.JPG]