Woodnet Forums
Thoughts on collet chucks...... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Thoughts on collet chucks...... (/showthread.php?tid=7333419)

Thoughts on collet chucks...... - rlance - 09-20-2017

I'm basically a hybrid flat woodworker making furniture......but, I have a lathe which I use for spindles, furniture knobs/pulls, and items for the shop. I've become interested in collet chucks as a means of securing small turnings and am wondering what real turners thought of these items.

Thanks for your thoughts/insights.

RE: Thoughts on collet chucks...... - Allen - 09-21-2017

(09-20-2017, 09:36 PM)rlance Wrote: I'm basically a hybrid flat woodworker making furniture......but, I have a lathe which I use for spindles, furniture knobs/pulls, and items for the shop. I've become interested in collet chucks as a means of securing small turnings and am wondering what real turners thought of these items.

Thanks for your thoughts/insights.

I use them on small items, works for me.

Al

RE: Thoughts on collet chucks...... - AHill - 09-21-2017

I use them and they work great.  You have to pay closer attention to the diameter of what fits into the collet, though.  Too small, and it won't hold.  Too large, and it won't fit.  If you use a collet chuck, go watch the video put out be Beall.  There's a trick to remove the item in the chuck.  Otherwise, you'll be struggling and think your item is stuck forever.

RE: Thoughts on collet chucks...... - SteveS - 09-21-2017

A collet chuck is a great tool to have. not only for securing tenons of small parts, but also for pen turning. it allows you to change the effective length of the mandrel to avoid problems with a long beam length deflecting under tool pressure.