Woodnet Forums
Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=7334002)

Pages: 1 2

Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - gregbois - 10-14-2017

I pulled out what I presumed was my Stanley 5 1/2 to give it a tune up this weekend, and I now realize that besides having what probably is a Frankenplane, I have a plane with a sole truly out of flat.  The plane bellies at the mouth which is a 1/16" lower than either the heel and toe.  The sole is also cupped across its width, and is waney on the diagonals.  

Even if I could lap the sole flat on my glass and sandpaper set up -- which seems like a lifetime of work -- I would end up thinning the sole at the mouth, while widening it considerably.  Neither seems like a welcome proposition.

Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane?  Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

The only markings on the plane are the "5 1/2" embossed into the toe and a faint "Stanley" mark on the lateral adjuster.  No patent date or numbers anywhere.  Not sure if it is black from Japaning or a paint job.  Also, ignore what appears to be hand scraping marks on the sole; this is a shadow pattern left by the non-skid mat the plane was resting on inside a drawer.

A few pictures.

[attachment=5025][attachment=5026][attachment=5027][attachment=5028]

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - JimReed@Tallahassee - 10-14-2017

In my shop it would be called a donor. Maybe you can find a better sole and transfer most of your parts.

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - gregbois - 10-14-2017

(10-14-2017, 09:45 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: In my shop it would be called a donor. Maybe you can find a better sole and transfer most of your parts.

I suspected as much.

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Slav Jelesijevich - 10-15-2017

Get a big rough cut file and go to town, it will take off material fast, 12-14 inch is what I would recommend.

Slav

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Laid-Back - 10-15-2017

(10-15-2017, 12:19 AM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: Get a big rough cut file and go to town, it will take off material fast, 12-14 inch is what I would recommend.

Slav

/\ This

I've went this route on a couple really bad planes. Used a Sharpie and sandpaper to check progress. As for opening of the mouth, I have a smoother that had the throat opened up so much that it looked like you could throw a cat through it, I adjusted the frog and set the chipbreaker tight and went on with it.

Thats to nice a looking plane for it's age not to give it a go.

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Strokes77 - 10-15-2017

(10-15-2017, 05:48 AM)Laid-Back Wrote: /\ This

I've went this route on a couple really bad planes. Used a Sharpie and sandpaper to check progress. As for opening of the mouth, I have a smoother that had the throat opened up so much that it looked like you could throw a cat through it, I adjusted the frog and set the chipbreaker tight and went on with it.

Thats to nice a looking plane for it's age not to give it a go.

Yes, don't be concerned with the mouth on a # 5 1/2 in my opinion.  Give it a go at "flattening"... but I encourage you that after awhile of "flattening", go try to plane some boards with it... let that be your test... more so than a strait edge...

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - David Knight - 10-15-2017

I'll add my 2 cents; +1 for everything above. The frog adjustment should close your mouth just fine. On a jack, I would worry too much about the sole being perfectly flat. So long as the toe, mouth, and heel are pretty close, the plane will function just fine.

Have a go with a file, then your sand paper, then test on some boards. It's the best way to check, without a doubt.

David

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Admiral - 10-15-2017

+1 on taking a file to it, you got nothing to lose. Again, just get it close and see how it works, you will be pleasantly surprised.

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - gregbois - 10-16-2017

I had at it a bit this afternoon.  A lot of "planing" on 60 grit sandpaper atop 5/8" thick glass.  I've made a lot of progress, but I think I'm going to have to get out the files -- as recommended -- and draw some iron.

Thanks for the encouragement!

All the finest -- from Los Angeles.  Greg

RE: Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma - Timberwolf - 10-17-2017

(10-14-2017, 09:10 PM)gregbois Wrote: I pulled out what I presumed was my Stanley 5 1/2 to give it a tune up this weekend, and I now realize that besides having what probably is a Frankenplane, I have a plane with a sole truly out of flat.  The plane bellies at the mouth which is a 1/16" lower than either the heel and toe.  The sole is also cupped across its width, and is waney on the diagonals.  

Even if I could lap the sole flat on my glass and sandpaper set up -- which seems like a lifetime of work -- I would end up thinning the sole at the mouth, while widening it considerably.  Neither seems like a welcome proposition.

Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane?  Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

The only markings on the plane are the "5 1/2" embossed into the toe and a faint "Stanley" mark on the lateral adjuster.  No patent date or numbers anywhere.  Not sure if it is black from Japaning or a paint job.  Also, ignore what appears to be hand scraping marks on the sole; this is a shadow pattern left by the non-skid mat the plane was resting on inside a drawer.

A few pictures.
Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane? Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

If it were mine, I would flatten the sole on my 6X48" stationary belt grinder.