Woodnet Forums
Double Sided Tape Failure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Double Sided Tape Failure (/showthread.php?tid=7334202)

Double Sided Tape Failure - Bill Holt - 10-23-2017

My first two attempts to turn an "emerging bowl" ended with tape failure.  I turned the half sphere and separated the blocks. I mounted the block with tape and supported the half sphere with three wedges on tape.  I used clamps and tail stock pressure to "set" the tape.  In the first attempt, I had stopped to check the depth.  Depth was perfect, all I needed was to clean the little nib in the bottom.  Turned the lathe on and before I could pick up the tool, I noticed a "ghost"; instantly the block flew off.  There was no catch.  I'm not sure where that role of tape came from so "maybe the tape is bad" I thought.

On the second one I used a newer role of "turner's tape" and went through the same steps but failure happened shortly after I started hollowing the bowl at a slower speed.

The face plate is Baltic Birch and very clean.  Okay, I am ready to hear from you, what did I do wrong?

RE: Double Sided Tape Failure - Wildwood - 10-23-2017

Everything know about using double-side tape; mating surfaces must be perfectly flat. Wedges & tape didn’t work so not sure what to tell you.

RE: Double Sided Tape Failure - Arlin Eastman - 10-23-2017

(10-23-2017, 09:24 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: My first two attempts to turn an "emerging bowl" ended with tape failure.  I turned the half sphere and separated the blocks. I mounted the block with tape and supported the half sphere with three wedges on tape.  I used clamps and tail stock pressure to "set" the tape.  In the first attempt, I had stopped to check the depth.  Depth was perfect, all I needed was to clean the little nib in the bottom.  Turned the lathe on and before I could pick up the tool, I noticed a "ghost"; instantly the block flew off.  There was no catch.  I'm not sure where that role of tape came from so "maybe the tape is bad" I thought.

On the second one I used a newer role of "turner's tape" and went through the same steps but failure happened shortly after I started hollowing the bowl at a slower speed.

The face plate is Baltic Birch and very clean.  Okay, I am ready to hear from you, what did I do wrong?

Bill

The tape works great for regular turning, but not with off sided turning.  To me personally I would use a glue block on/or hot glue.  The tape to me does not work really well turning on the side of it either unless the wood is really dry and has a good flat space which will hole it great and with that I also clamp it tight to the wood with either clamps or the tail stock

RE: Double Sided Tape Failure - chips ahoy - 10-23-2017

I have had good luck with turners tape fro Lee Valley.

Mel

RE: Double Sided Tape Failure - Bill Holt - 10-23-2017

I saw a video where the guy used tape so that's what I tried; I don't have a glue gun.

The surfaces were as flat as a woodworker can get them.

The turning was for this month's challenge at our club.  I have a lot of hours in the project and it frustrates me not to be able to finish.  Starting over is not appealing.  I may have to buy a glue gun.

RE: Double Sided Tape Failure - MichaelMouse - 10-24-2017

(10-23-2017, 08:34 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I saw a video where the guy used tape so that's what I tried; I don't have a glue gun.

The surfaces were as flat as a woodworker can get them.

The turning was for this month's challenge at our club.  I have a lot of hours in the project and it frustrates me not to be able to finish.  Starting over is not appealing.  I may have to buy a glue gun.

Tape and porous surfaces are not a great option.  Try getting those surfaces flat as possible and sealing them with shellac prior to taping.