Woodnet Forums
CA glue - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CA glue (/showthread.php?tid=7334276)

CA glue - gear jammer - 10-25-2017

What is the difference between CA glue and CA finishing glue. Working on some ornaments and a couple I want that finish that looks about quarter inch deep. Thought I'd try a CA finish. Tried in the past but couldn't tolerate the fumes. I think if I try it I'll open all the doors and windows and have a fan at my back.

Thanks

RE: CA glue - chips ahoy - 10-26-2017

Never heard of CA finishing glue.I always have used Super T,the one with the yellow label,that I get from Lee Valley.Use it on my pens and all small items.

Mel

RE: CA glue - vernonator - 10-26-2017

(10-25-2017, 11:08 PM)gear jammer Wrote: What is the difference between CA glue and CA finishing glue. Working on some ornaments and a couple I want that finish that looks about quarter inch deep. Thought I'd try a CA finish. Tried in the past but couldn't tolerate the fumes. I think if I try it I'll open all the doors and windows and have a fan at my back.

Thanks

For my pens and shaving handles I use Mercury Flex CA, it is specifically forumulated as a finish and (as the name suggests) has a bit of flex to it. You also MUST use the accelerator for it in order to get a good finish. I put 4 coats thin and 4 coats medium with accel between each coat and then wet sand with MicroMesh pads from 1500-15,000 and then a quick hit of plastic polish. They look like glass and are very stable and strong. I get mine from the Pen Kit Mall (www.penkitmall.com) though there are a few other vendors out there. Make sure to get the Accelerator!!!

RE: CA glue - chips ahoy - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 08:52 AM)vernonator Wrote: For my pens and shaving handles I use Mercury Flex CA, it is specifically forumulated as a finish and (as the name suggests) has a bit of flex to it. You also MUST use the accelerator for it in order to get a good finish. I put 4 coats thin and 4 coats medium with accel between each coat and then wet sand with MicroMesh pads from 1500-15,000 and then a quick hit of plastic polish. They look like glass and are very stable and strong. I get mine from the Pen Kit Mall (www.penkitmall.com) though there are a few other vendors out there. Make sure to get the Accelerator!!!

Thanks for the info on the Mercury Flex,I will check it out.Some companies won't ship to Canada.

Mel

RE: CA glue - gear jammer - 10-26-2017

Thank you. I looked up Penkit mall and found the flex glue. I then looked at amazon for Mercury CA. $12 dollars cheaper and still from penkitmall. Ordered some. Thanks again