Woodnet Forums
Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? (/showthread.php?tid=7334625)

Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - Bill_Houghton - 11-09-2017

Acquired in my travels...don't recall how long ago.  Straight back (no nib).  Very fine grain handle - apple?  One catalog seems to list a No. 64 with a handle like this one.

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - C. in Indy - 11-09-2017

I'd say you're spot-on for No. 64.   It matches exactly to my 1923 Atkins catalog.   Applewood would be correct, too!

I once found such a handle, NOS, near Indianpolis, part of an antique-store lot that probably was handed down through a former Atkins employee.  Should have kept it but I wasn't sure what it was.   An auction-buyer from Australia got it from me!

Chris

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - Bill_Houghton - 11-09-2017

So, was the 64 a high-grade saw?  Sure a high-grade handle!

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - C. in Indy - 11-10-2017

I have seen so few that I was not sure, but today's look at the catalog says the No. 64 was using an "extra heavy large blade, particularly adapted for all kinds of carpentry work where fast and accurate cutting is required.  Is is made of SILVER STEEL, straight back.  Damaskeen finish.  EMBOSSED and polished applewood handle, of the old style straight across pattern...."

For saw pricing, it looks like the 3 most expensive in the line for 1923 were the 400/401 rosewood's, the No. 52 "no set" saw, and the No. 64.   The often-seen No. 65 and No. 53 "perfection handle" saws were less expensive than these top three.

The replacement Tote cost list has the 400/401 as the most expensive, followed next by the No. 64
Smile

If the heavy blade means yours didn't get kinked through the decades, that alone is something great...

Enjoy!
Chris

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - Bill_Houghton - 11-10-2017

Thanks for all the good information.  Looks like a worthwhile purchase.  Saw plate's rusty; this will be a future project.

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - Mike Brady - 11-10-2017

(11-10-2017, 10:08 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Thanks for all the good information.  Looks like a worthwhile purchase.  Saw plate's rusty; this will be a future project.

I'm confused by the distinction between the No. 64 and 65 saws.  Other than the shape of the handle, what would account for a difference in price?  My 65 plate is etched as: Damaskeened---Silver Steel---Atkins Perfection.  It is a straight back saw and the handle is apple with nickel plate screws. It's a 24" saw and has that floral motif handle that looks like it was burned into the wood.  The handle is slightly smaller in fit than some other Atkins saws that I have.  

Edit:  Reading the catalog, I see that the 64 is listed as having an extra heavy plate while the 65 bears no mention of the plate weight; so that must be the difference.  Probably many more of the regular weight were made and sold.  This is a fairly common saw to be found around the Midwest.

RE: Anyone recognize this Atkins saw handle? - C. in Indy - 11-10-2017

Yes, the No. 64 is a big saw, evoking a Disston No. 12.   And there's even a good deal of steel inside the tote; it's not the canted/radiused type of blade butt that resides in a Disston-D8 type of design.

Having used a few vintage saws, I've started to doubt whether the Disston D8 (and similar competitive designs) was a total step forward in its advanced design.  It could also be argued as a first step in steel mass reduction over the Disston No. 7 and No. 12 styles.   Sometimes I like a light saw, but sometimes that big old saw that sinks itself through the wood is really nice.