Woodnet Forums
Need a little help and a few recent finds - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need a little help and a few recent finds (/showthread.php?tid=7334631)

Need a little help and a few recent finds - DaveParkis - 11-09-2017

I have really tried to stop buying tools, but I just can't help myself.
Smirk  I picked these up at a recent sale, but I can't find anything on the maker, which is STEINER. I can find Steiner and Sauer planes (which are GORGEOUS), but nothing on just Steiner. Anyone familiar with them?
[Image: CYXlezym.jpg][Image: rtFuFdMm.jpg]
I also picked up a few others
Big Grin
Big Grin 
[Image: eKS1dIcm.jpg]
These are all Ulmias. Got the router plane, rabbet plane with adjustable mouth, dovetail plane, two smoothers, a scrub and the burnisher. Oh, and then I grabbed this Pexto Samson 12" brace.
[Image: LWN8r0om.jpg]

Can't wait to see what this weekend brings
Smirk

RE: Need a little help and a few recent finds - Joe Bailey - 11-10-2017

The 2nd last post here may be of interest

RE: Need a little help and a few recent finds - jwsoebbl - 11-10-2017

Dave,
As the link mentioned somewhere near the end of the text, Steiner planes were made in the German city of Laupheim.  They are every bit as good as the Ulmia planes (made in Ulm).  I have/had quite a few of them that I bought in Germany, they are little known in the US but quite common over there.  I believe the company has gone out of business by now though.  It varies from plane to plane but I think the Steiner irons are as good or better than the Ulmia, for whatever its worth.  Because they are scarce here resale is either very good or terrible, depending mostly on condition...I have a few in the line of planes to get rehabbed and sold and pricing them is always interesting.
Regards,
Jan

RE: Need a little help and a few recent finds - DaveParkis - 11-10-2017

Thanks guys!! Yeah, pricing these will be interesting. They will be in SnS in a few days.