Woodnet Forums
Saturday rust hunting - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Saturday rust hunting (/showthread.php?tid=7335414)

Pages: 1 2

Saturday rust hunting - Tynyyn - 12-09-2017

Went to a flea market in Seneca Mo and came back with a Wilton Bullet Vise.  Kinda excited because when I asked the lady behind the counter "how much for the vise" she said $50.  I said I'll take it.  Fifty three bucks and change later I was the owner of a beat up Wilton Bullet Vise.  It isn't pretty, it is dry on the internals, the handle is bent and there is a lot of welding splatter on the jaws.  But those things can be addressed with a little bit of time and elbow grease.  My wife was rolling her eyes at me buying this vise, yet I had my handy dandy cell phone and proceeded to show her how much a NEW vise costs.  A smile crossed her face.
Winkgrin  Plus I could not believe how much this vise weighs.  Can't do curls with it.   

[Image: 4R3suT8.jpg]

RE: Saturday rust hunting - GNP - 12-09-2017

Sweet

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Rick Barton - 12-09-2017

Nice. How do you plan on restoring it? 
Raised

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Malix - 12-09-2017

Nice score!

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Bob10 - 12-09-2017

I picked up a couple of vises yesterday a Simplex 500 and a columbian quick release wood vise that has to be one of the oldest I have seen.  Funny what vises go for as they don't seem that complicated

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Tynyyn - 12-10-2017

(12-09-2017, 06:35 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Nice. How do you plan on restoring it? 
Raised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6n9-IaWfk

Looks pretty easy, yet maybe time consuming.

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Tynyyn - 12-10-2017

[Image: RWLl8Nt.jpg]
[Image: q8lNzhk.jpg]
[Image: 06F6DBo.jpg]
[Image: rLlD6mb.jpg]
[Image: beOF3eu.jpg]
[Image: SgPMIFy.jpg]
[Image: jBrh174.jpg]
[Image: XOMSd32.jpg]
[Image: YuxkMwJ.jpg]
[Image: VcqlkKK.jpg]
[Image: 4R3suT8.jpg]
[Image: Ruq2wKO.jpg]

So, after looking at the pics I see that the jaw pads are welded to the bosses. Does any body know how deep those welds run? I'm thinking that maybe I can file down the top of the bosses and jaws to get to the seam between both. Grrrrr....things you find after you put the cash on the table.

RE: Saturday rust hunting - JimReed@Tallahassee - 12-10-2017

Looks like it had a life of abuse. My guess is that the previous jaws fell out because the screw holes crumbled. Take it apart and you will have a big rebuild on your hands. But they did a decent job of welding the jaws in place. Option #2 is to clean it up a bit and let those sleeping dogs lie. With a little love and TLC it might turn into a good user. The up side is that when you use it you can beat on it guilt free.

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Bob10 - 12-10-2017

I don't know what your plans are but I would list it on CL about $150 so there would be room to move and let someone else rehab it

RE: Saturday rust hunting - Stwood_ - 12-10-2017

(12-10-2017, 01:57 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I don't know what your plans are but I would list it on CL about $150 so there would be room to move and let someone else rehab it

Yea.

Or grind the welds flush and let it go and a dab of paint and use it. I saw the welds in the first pic and thought, oh oh.
Welds have penetrated down into the cast. No recovering from that.