Woodnet Forums
Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tru-oil for handle finishing? (/showthread.php?tid=7335723)

Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Tynyyn - 12-21-2017

My kid has been refinishing a SKS wooden stock with Tru-oil and it sure has turned out nice.  So smooth I just cannot get over it.  I was pondering if some of you guys have ever tried Tru-oil on wooden handles of planes or chisels?  What's been your results and has the finish lasted?

Thanks.

RE: Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Ron Brese - 12-23-2017

(12-21-2017, 06:34 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: My kid has been refinishing a SKS wooden stock with Tru-oil and it sure has turned out nice.  So smooth I just cannot get over it.  I was pondering if some of you guys have ever tried Tru-oil on wooden handles of planes or chisels?  What's been your results and has the finish lasted?

Thanks.

I've been using Tru Oil on wooden plane bodies for a while and it's held up quite well. I've applied shellac to dense woods in the past and on woods like Macassar ebony that have high surface tension I can pull the shellac off that material with just a very thorough and vigorous rub of 4/0 steel wood.

In those instances I have taken to wet sanding Tru Oil right into the wood and this yields a nice soft glow and something that feels good in the hand. So far it seems rather durable as compared to shellac. On naturally oily woods I've applied shellac as a sealer and then applied Tru Oil over the shellac with great success as well.

BTW, what is SKS?

Ron

RE: Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Tynyyn - 12-23-2017

It's a ww2 rifle

RE: Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Ron Brese - 12-23-2017

(12-23-2017, 08:38 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: It's a ww2 rifle

The exact application that finishing material was made for. I bet it looks nice.

Ron

RE: Tru-oil for handle finishing? - Tynyyn - 12-23-2017

You just cannot imagine what this kid has done to that stock. Nic has some sort of genius with using sandpaper and applying Tru-oil. He can go through 100 grit to 1000 grit and make the stock as smooth as a baby's butt, and when he added the Tru-oil, it only made the stock smoother. Heck, I'm a decent wood worker and know more about the craft than he does and in one week he finishes a beat up neglected wooden stock and made it very smooth. I'm impressed with him and tell him every time he shows me his work progress for the day. Great kid.