Woodnet Forums
Which Snowblower? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Which Snowblower? (/showthread.php?tid=7336168)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Which Snowblower? - johndi - 01-06-2018

So I think I'm ready to admit that I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm going to buy a snowblower .
I live in a townhouse but this will be used for mine and the 2 adjoining houses as one neighbor is elderly and the other is battling cancer.
I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you that have one.
Thanks

RE: Which Snowblower? - TDKPE - 01-06-2018

Where do you live, and how much area do you have to keep clear?

RE: Which Snowblower? - fredhargis - 01-06-2018

The "where" part can be especially important. If I was in somewhere like east of Lake Ontario, or Erie PA, something like that it would be a Honda (hands down). But outside of the heavy snow places, any of the others should do OK. Most of them are made by 2 other companies (I think) and of those 2 companies, most are made by MTD...which has a dizzying array of names that market.

RE: Which Snowblower? - Cecil - 01-06-2018

Yep, location is important.  I live about 1 hour from Erie, PA, and a 10HP snowblower is a minimum, in my book.  I just cut through another foot or more of heavy snow that the snowplow piled at the end of my driveway.  I have cut though as much as 3 feet, but I need to take that in short bursts.  I bought a Toro, which I will not buy again.  I hear good things about the Husqvarna.  I believe I will go that way next time.

RE: Which Snowblower? - EdL - 01-06-2018

Ariens....

Ed

RE: Which Snowblower? - chips ahoy - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 01:23 PM)EdL Wrote: Ariens....

Ed

Ariens is still US made and has a good reputation.I bought a Husky 2 years ago and love it.No Ariens dealer near me.

Mel

RE: Which Snowblower? - johndi - 01-06-2018

I live in Philadelphia
I need to clear 3 single car driveways and about 100’ off sidewalks

RE: Which Snowblower? - chips ahoy - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 06:58 PM)johndi Wrote: I live in Philadelphia
I need to clear 3 single car driveways and about 100’ off sidewalks

The 27" Husky could handle that.

Mel

RE: Which Snowblower? - dg152 - 01-06-2018

You have a number of options to choose from. Given the amount of space you need to clear I would go with a 2-stage blower. Those are the ones that have an auger in front which breaks up snow then feeds it to an impeller which throws it through a directional chute and out of your driveway. I would buy at least an 8-horse blower (snow can be heavy) with an electric start. Some accessories you might want are wheel chains to provide more traction. You may also want a hood which helps keep blowing snow off the operator. Check Consumer Reports for their opinions. As for brands, there's numerous choices. My last blower was a Craftsman that I bought on clearance when we moved from the East Coast to the Midwest. It got a heck of a workout while we were in Des Moines.

Let us know what you decide.

RE: Which Snowblower? - Mking143 - 01-06-2018

I'm in Ct, we get plenty of snow, and I also have a number of neighbors who are either elderly or not particularly healthy.
I bought a 26" Ariens from a local power supply store ( not a Borg). I cleaned 5 driveways yesterday, 10" snow, in about 1 1/2 hours. It's 8 years old and continues to operate flawlessly. I change the oil every fall, make sure it has Stabil in it in the off season, and grease it also.
Piece of cake.