Woodnet Forums
Fooled at the Fleamarket - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Fooled at the Fleamarket (/showthread.php?tid=7337323)

Fooled at the Fleamarket - Downwindtracker2 - 02-12-2018

I've a thing for Swedish chisels, I love their balance. So when I looked in a box there was a rusty socket chisel with a ring around the lip. For a buck, it went into my pocket. The ring around the lip is something the Swedes did for their socket chisels, a good idea. I have a Canadian Champion socket chisel  that I'm going to have to heat and use a die on. First thing I did when I got home was hit it with the fine wire wheel to read the makers stamp. Surprise. It was a Shamrock ! Wm.Marple on the writing. Sheffield not Eskilstuna. A good chisel but rusty. It looks like the lip is factory, not a repaired socket, bit thinner and not as well formed as the Swedes did. I'm going to have to try dating it.

A easily useable Canadian made Stanley #151 spofeshave for $4 and a German Stahlwille box end wrench  also for a buck. I consider Stahwilli a couple of steps up from Snap-on.

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - JimReed@Tallahassee - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 01:15 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I've a thing for Swedish chisels, I love their balance. So when I looked in a box there was a rusty socket chisel with a ring around the lip. For a buck, it went into my pocket. The ring around the lip is something the Swedes did for their socket chisels, a good idea. I have a Canadian Champion socket chisel  that I'm going to have to heat and use a die on. First thing I did when I got home was hit it with the fine wire wheel to read the makers stamp. Surprise. It was a Shamrock ! Wm.Marple on the writing. Sheffield not Eskilstuna. A good chisel but rusty. It looks like the lip is factory, not a repaired socket, bit thinner and not as well formed as the Swedes did. I'm going to have to try dating it.

Start with flowers...

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - Admiral - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 01:15 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote:  I'm going to have to try dating it.

What always worked for me was dinner and a movie, then see how it goes.

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - Downwindtracker2 - 02-12-2018

With February 14 coming up, these are great suggestions. I usually give flowers, but on  February 15, when they are on for half price.

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - MarkSingleton - 02-12-2018

Seems you did all right at the flea, even if you did not get what you
thought you purchased.

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - Downwindtracker2 - 02-12-2018

Yeah, no complaints there. The spokeshave is a steal.

Here in Canada we have English and Swedish chisels as well as American. It was the oddity of the chisel. A wild a** guess would be 1890s?. I'll have to research that.  I have drawer of Wm.Marple&Sons chisels. They are finely made bevel edge chisels, with small lands. And of good cast steel. This one ,while it had fine lands, it was heavier with a more rounded top. Looked more hand made,too.

I find I'm spending much more time  looking at old mechanics tools .I very rarely buy. One dollar Stahlwilles are an exception. Like a PLOMB flex-head, they invented  the combination wrench. You know this company as Proto.

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - Slav Jelesijevich - 02-13-2018

The berg style was very popular back in the 40’s-60’s, with the thin blade. Everybody copied the style, buck also made one also. Stanley made one but with the usual thick blade.

Slav

RE: Fooled at the Fleamarket - Downwindtracker2 - 02-13-2018

Thinking about what you say Slav, I think the purpose of the chisel governed it's shape. On this side of the pond most chisel sales would be to carpenters where a framing chisel strength would be important whereas in England cabinet shops where they hand made furniture still existed. Even WM.Marple&Sons "Splitproof" plastic handled ones are finely made.