Woodnet Forums
Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? (/showthread.php?tid=7337531)

Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - C. in Indy - 02-19-2018

Hi,

I would like to live vicariously through your postings
Smile

There were some newer vises out there, I'm wondering if anybody has tried.
Benchcrafted Hi-Vise looks very appealing....and not too terribly expensive considering.
HNT Gordon Face Vise looks amazing and expensive.
Etc. 

Thanks in advance,

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - EatenByLimestone - 02-19-2018

I'm always looking for new vices!

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - ronlaughlin - 02-19-2018

[Image: IMG_2801.JPG]

Not really new; what is new is, i don't yearn for a new vise.  Not yearning for something new, or something better is kinda new to me.

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - daddo - 02-19-2018

Nothing new here. Just this setup that helps hold wood, pipe and other things in various positions for fitting, welding, cutting and so on.

[Image: IpAp3Qj.jpg]

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - C. in Indy - 02-21-2018

Ron,   nice cranks!   I like the auxiliary knob.

Daddo,  looking good.   I know a guy who uses 2 B&D workmates for long boards, and he says it's like having the board set in concrete.

Chris

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - Tony (Charleston WV) - 02-24-2018

Chris:   Here's my Benchcrafted high vise.  A very useful tool.  Criss-cross mechanism makes for more slop than I expected, but the jaws come together as they should.  Handle mechanism is a hoot.  I like that it can reside on the bench semi-permanently.  That won't work with the moxon, in my shop at least.

[Image: vKFpKCD.jpg]

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - C. in Indy - 02-24-2018

Thanks!

Coincidentally, HNT Gordon has just now announced a patternmakers vise along with their face vise and tail vise:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfewXKAAicg/?hl=en&taken-by=hntgordon

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - DCM - 02-24-2018

Tony - that's a very nice looking high vise. I'm thinking about getting one. Can you expand on the slop? On yours, what range of bench top thickness will it accommodate?
Thanks
David

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - Tony (Charleston WV) - 02-24-2018

(02-24-2018, 09:55 AM)DCM Wrote: Tony - that's a very nice looking high vise.  I'm thinking about getting one. Can you expand on the slop? On yours, what range of bench top thickness will it accommodate?
Thanks
David

David:

Before I address your question, I need to apologize to the Benchcrafted folks for my use of the term "slop" and any implication that I think the vise is in any way compromised, or of anything but the highest quality, as is the long-standing and well-deserved reputation of BC for excellence in design, construction, and customer service. ("I should have said "play which doesn't affect functionality".)

Of course, the builder/user of the vise is responsible for turning out a tool that functions as it should--BC sells the excellent hardware and instructions, the rest is up to the customer.  One of these days I'll remember that the connection between my mouth and my brain, tenuous as a general rule, rarely functions at all before 1 p.m and after 7:45 p.m. 

I'm a very satisfied customer who's  purchased a number of their tools.

As for the thickness issue, there really is no single, right answer.  It depends on a number of factors, including which of the three models is selected.  At page 4-5 of the installation instructions the writer states that the specs provided for the Mounting Screw version result in "a clamping range of 0” to 4 3/8”,  a good all-around range that let’s you mount the vise to a ¾” thick banquet table, all the way up to a 4” thick Roubo-style bench."

The BC web page, which includes a link to the installation instructions and a short video I mentioned in my original post, is here

Cheers.

RE: Anyone has fun new Vises to show? - DCM - 02-26-2018

(02-24-2018, 07:34 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: David:

Before I address your question, I need to apologize to the Benchcrafted folks for my use of the term "slop" and any implication that I think the vise is in any way compromised, or of anything but the highest quality, as is the long-standing and well-deserved reputation of BC for excellence in design, construction, and customer service. ("I should have said "play which doesn't affect functionality".)

Of course, the builder/user of the vise is responsible for turning out a tool that functions as it should--BC sells the excellent hardware and instructions, the rest is up to the customer.  One of these days I'll remember that the connection between my mouth and my brain, tenuous as a general rule, rarely functions at all before 1 p.m and after 7:45 p.m. 

I'm a very satisfied customer who's  purchased a number of their tools.

As for the thickness issue, there really is no single, right answer.  It depends on a number of factors, including which of the three models is selected.  At page 4-5 of the installation instructions the writer states that the specs provided for the Mounting Screw version result in "a clamping range of 0” to 4 3/8”,  a good all-around range that let’s you mount the vise to a ¾” thick banquet table, all the way up to a 4” thick Roubo-style bench."

The BC web page, which includes a link to the installation instructions and a short video I mentioned in my original post, is here

Cheers.

Tony,

I checked out the vid on BC site & you can see the play you speak of. I'll be ordering one soon

Thanks for the info
David