Woodnet Forums
Cherry burl with bark inclusion - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cherry burl with bark inclusion (/showthread.php?tid=7337561)

Pages: 1 2

Cherry burl with bark inclusion - FrankAtl - 02-20-2018

I just finished turning this last week. I thought the bark inclusion was going to ruin it but I am very pleased with the way it turned out. 

[attachment=8386]

[attachment=8387]

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - Wildwood - 02-20-2018

I like it too thanks for sharing!

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - crokett™ - 02-20-2018

that's a gorgeous piece.  how big is it?  

I have an oak burl that had some occlusion but when I was turning it green the stuff started flying off.  I eventually dug it all out and will fill the voids with epoxy before the second turn.  I'm planning on working on that this spring.

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - FrankAtl - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 03:29 PM)crokett™ Wrote: that's a gorgeous piece.  how big is it?  

I have an oak burl that had some occlusion but when I was turning it green the stuff started flying off.  I eventually dug it all out and will fill the voids with epoxy before the second turn.  I'm planning on working on that this spring.

Thanks crokett!

I can't remember exactly but approx. 8" L x 4" to 5" W x 3.5" deep. I'll measure it tonight.

I was afraid this one was going to fly off but it was pretty stable.

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - FrankAtl - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 03:14 PM)Wildwood Wrote: I like it too thanks for sharing!

Thanks Bill!

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - chips ahoy - 02-20-2018

All I gotta say is WOW,that is beautiful,you sure did that piece of wood justice.Keep up the great work.

Mel

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - Gary G™ - 02-20-2018

It’s beautiful. Great turn.

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - MidwestMan - 02-20-2018

Yes.. thanks for posting. I think it looks totally excellent. That is a piece of Artwork !

Please let us know the finish that is on it and your process of applying the finish. I'd really like to know.

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - FrankAtl - 02-21-2018

Thanks for the comments guys. Crokett, I forgot to measure it last night but will try to get dimensions tonight. The finishing schedule was pretty basic. I wiped on some BLO, let it dry for a few days and then sprayed about 10 coats of rattle can lacquer. Finished it up by buffing on the Beal buffing system.

RE: Cherry burl with bark inclusion - MidwestMan - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 08:37 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Thanks for the comments guys. Crokett, I forgot to measure it last night but will try to get dimensions tonight. The finishing schedule was pretty basic. I wiped on some BLO, let it dry for a few days and then sprayed about 10 coats of rattle can lacquer. Finished it up by buffing on the Beal buffing system.

Thank you for telling us. That may be basic for you, but I've never done that.