Woodnet Forums
Water base spray lacquer shelf life - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Water base spray lacquer shelf life (/showthread.php?tid=7337965)

Water base spray lacquer shelf life - KLaz - 03-06-2018

I was going through my shop and cleaning some stuff up and came across a gallon of JE Moser water based premium spray lacquer from 2006. It has never been opened or froze

Any of you finishing gurus think this product is still good?

RE: Water base spray lacquer shelf life - jteneyck - 03-06-2018

If it's pink or smells rotten it's likely bad.  If not, try it on some scrap and see if it cures well.  

John

RE: Water base spray lacquer shelf life - fredhargis - 03-07-2018

The proof will be in the testing. Some time ago Jeff Jewitt published something about shelf life of finishes and said that any waterborne should be tossed after 2 years, whether it had been opened or not. My very-less-experience-than-his is only with some Targert coatings stuff that sat in a jar for well over 5 years in my shop and was still good. I tossed it anyway (not enough for anything), but I'd test it and go from there.

RE: Water base spray lacquer shelf life - KLaz - 03-07-2018

(03-07-2018, 06:40 AM)fredhargis Wrote: The proof will be in the testing. Some time ago Jeff Jewitt published something about shelf life of finishes and said that any waterborne should be tossed after 2 years, whether it had been opened or not. My very-less-experience-than-his is only with some Targert coatings stuff that sat in a jar for well over 5 years in my shop and was still good. I tossed it anyway (not enough for anything), but I'd test it and go from there.

Thanks guys.  I'll give it a shot