Woodnet Forums
This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 (/showthread.php?tid=7337966)

This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - C. in Indy - 03-06-2018

Just a fun diversion today....

20 years ago I would have loved to get a Guild D100 guitar.  They were the absolute top-of-the-line for that company's acoustic flattops, and they had a hand-carved neck- heel:

[attachment=8893]

Today I hit an antique store that I only get to see about every 5 years.  Initially I dismissed the Disston D100 saw tucked in a booth, but it drew me back to it.  The blade was laser-straight, and the cast handle was of a finer level of detail than I thought... really nice Henry Disston signatures and emblems.  Now it's mine! 
Smile
And... a whale of a lot cheaper than the other D100.
I found out from some of my other saws that I don't mind having a pretty heavy saw for certain cuts, and this one is weighty.
The vibe to me is very positive so far, somewhat like the Buck Rogers Millers Falls planes.  It seems like it will be a nicer tool than it's generally given credit to be:

[attachment=8894]

Happy woodworking,
Chris

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - JimReed@Tallahassee - 03-06-2018

Time to get out the Simple Green and go after the sawplate. Good score.

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - EricU - 03-06-2018

that guitar top has some pretty amazing silk.  Nice saw too.

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - AHill - 03-07-2018

My hobby journey is in the opposite direction.  I'm sort of divesting myself of woodworking tools I don't need, in favor of acoustic guitars.  In the past year, I've spent over $10K for guitars and gear.  Both are enjoyable hobbies, satisfying different itches.  I've played guitar for over 40 years.

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - Hank Knight - 03-08-2018

(03-07-2018, 08:38 AM)AHill Wrote: My hobby journey is in the opposite direction.  I'm sort of divesting myself of woodworking tools I don't need, in favor of acoustic guitars.  In the past year, I've spent over $10K for guitars and gear.  Both are enjoyable hobbies, satisfying different itches.  I've played guitar for over 40 years.

Allan, you and I are other same track. I love guitars. They are unlike any other object I know. They have a tactile presence and a voice all their own. I retired 5 years ago. For a retirement celebration, I gave myself a Martin Custom Shop OO41. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever owned.

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - C. in Indy - 03-17-2018

I finally got some quality time with the D100.  Hurray!

Here is the saw after disassembly, rust-removals, light buffing on the aluminum, and refreshed sharpening @ 10 ppi crosscut:

[attachment=9310]

Here is a sample crosscut.  This exceeded my expectations!  It went through the wood in a few strokes like the puffs of a steam locomotive!  Really nice continuity and inertia.   The saw's plate isn't as pretty as some collector examples, but I love it.

[attachment=9311]

Thanks for watching,
Chris

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - Admiral - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 04:09 PM)C. in Indy Wrote:  The saw's plate isn't as pretty as some collector examples, but I love it.

The only real important thing is that the plate is smooth, straight, and sharp.  Staining is really not an issue.  A little Autosol polish goes a long way on saw plates for some bling.

RE: This hobby actually more affordable than prior ones / D100 - C. in Indy - 06-07-2018

My local Antique-Shop guy came through for me
Smile
I walked in at lunch-hour, and he said,  "I've got just the thing for my Tool Guy buddy!"

An "empty box," but something I certainly value for more than the $5 he charged me.   He also gave me a good deal on the Stanley no. 5.

[attachment=10864]