Woodnet Forums
Emails I keep getting - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Emails I keep getting (/showthread.php?tid=7337989)

Pages: 1 2

Emails I keep getting - Bill_Houghton - 03-07-2018

Every couple of days, I get an e-mail claiming to be from "Woodnet Community," that sounds like a scam.  Today's starts out, "We know that you asked for it 3 weeks ago, for that we are so sorry for delay, The plans of china hutch are available..."  I just delete them - I don't want to do anything that would open me up to a scam.

Does WoodNet send out any such e-mails, or is my instinct correct?

RE: Emails I keep getting - bandit571 - 03-07-2018

Smells more like Ted's 16,000 plan scam going around....
Upset

RE: Emails I keep getting - daddo - 03-07-2018

Scam.

Go to "mail settings"- "spam settings"- type in the words or the address and block it.

RE: Emails I keep getting - Ohio Mike - 03-08-2018

(03-07-2018, 09:35 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Every couple of days, I get an e-mail claiming to be from "Woodnet Community," that sounds like a scam.  Today's starts out, "We know that you asked for it 3 weeks ago, for that we are so sorry for delay, The plans of china hutch are available..."  I just delete them - I don't want to do anything that would open me up to a scam.

Does WoodNet send out any such e-mails, or is my instinct correct?

I get those exact same emails.  I've created a filter in Gmail to route them directly to the spam folder so I never have to see them.

Mike

RE: Emails I keep getting - Bruce Haugen - 03-08-2018

Me, too, Bill.  I just assume someone hacked the woodnet site and harvested all the email addresses.  I just delete.  Maybe it’s time to get ambitious and add a filter to my mail.

RE: Emails I keep getting - daddo - 03-08-2018

You should always have a random junk email address for forums and for those you suspect and leave the important email address for real use.

I have 4 I use.

RE: Emails I keep getting - AHill - 03-08-2018

Welcome to WoodNet V2.  When the software switched over and we had to login using our email address, I believe our email addresses were all compromised or hacked.  (WoodNet denies this.)  Prior to the software switch, I never, ever got any spam related to WoodNet.  I get those emails every few days.  They go straight into the spam folder and deleted.  I don't even open them up.  Don't bother to open one up and unsubscribe, either.  It'll just confirm to the sender you have a legit email address, and the sender probably sells his list to other spammers.

RE: Emails I keep getting - Stwood_ - 03-08-2018

I no longer even get the spam in my gmail.
Go into your google group settings and remove Ted or Brain, whichever one you have, in those settings.

RE: Emails I keep getting - hbmcc - 03-08-2018

I have had these "woodnet" called spams occasionally but they are not persistent, and go directly to my spam folder. I found Ted's (or, his cousin's) library of stolen plans and they are free. A couple are useful. 

Daddo has part of the answer, extra junk/public email addresses. I have a second one that I actively use for less junky. Having MS Outlook (comes with Office) helps keep them all ordered--5 addies. So far Outlook is safer in keeping integrity than even Google's Web Mail. After 20 years of use, I will be scrambling to find a replacement in a couple years, however. 

My big headache is businesses who think they are above "un-subscribe." Woodcraft is the worst with at least one email a day. They now have nothing I need or want to buy--payback. The abusers, er... spammers kill a good service.

Oh, I turned off Woodnet Messager. It wood be nice to get them from members directly, but I get every comment on every thread I post to. No combo of switches seems to fix the issue. So, don't send me a private message.

RE: Emails I keep getting - Mike Brady - 03-08-2018

(03-08-2018, 11:22 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I have had these "woodnet" called spams occasionally but they are not persistent, and go directly to my spam folder. I found Ted's (or, his cousin's) library of stolen plans and they are free. A couple are useful. 

Daddo has part of the answer, extra junk/public email addresses. I have a second one that I actively use for less junky. Having MS Outlook (comes with Office) helps keep them all ordered--5 addies. So far Outlook is safer in keeping integrity than even Google's Web Mail. After 20 years of use, I will be scrambling to find a replacement in a couple years, however. 

My big headache is businesses who think they are above "un-subscribe." Woodcraft is the worst with at least one email a day. They now have nothing I need or want to buy--payback. The abusers, er... spammers kill a good service.

Oh, I turned off Woodnet Messager. It wood be nice to get them from members directly, but I get every comment on every thread I post to. No combo of switches seems to fix the issue. So, don't send me a private message.

Our woodworking club site is hosted by Daddio, and now a large number of our members are getting phishing junk emails trying to get someone to take their bait. So now I will get emails from the "person" who is the club president asking me to buy gift certificates on line for door prizes,etc. that will be reimbursed by him. Yah, right.