Woodnet Forums
Electrolysis - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Electrolysis (/showthread.php?tid=7338307)

Electrolysis - blackhat - 03-21-2018

What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.

RE: Electrolysis - enjuneer - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 06:41 PM)blackhat Wrote: What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.

I use an older battery charger. It works well at 12 volts and about 2 amps of current, as indicated on the built-in ammeter. A No 5 plane would be clean in about 12 hours.

RE: Electrolysis - blackhat - 03-21-2018

Thanks Bob. That gives me a set of values to start with.

RE: Electrolysis - Joe Bailey - 03-22-2018

(03-21-2018, 06:41 PM)blackhat Wrote: What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.

I have rehabbed many saws, and have tried a few techniques over the years, yet I've always avoided electrolysis on saw plates because of the possibility of hydrogen embrittlement.

RE: Electrolysis - EatenByLimestone - 03-24-2018

If it's rusty enough to require electrolysis over plain sanding, embrittlement is probably low on the worry list.